1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Film use in discharge chute?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by CharlesW, Oct 13, 2010.

1. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

New member here with a couple of questions about Fluid Film.
    I purchased some at the John Deere dealer after reading a lot of recommendations here.

1. Do you apply the FF prior to each use?
    2. How long before use is acceptable for application, a day/week/month?

I did do a search and while I found lots of references to Fluid Film, I didn't find the answers to those two questions.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I spray the whole blower / auger unit of my snow blower. I reapply at least once a month if I used it. I'm from NW Ohio, so sometimes we go all winter without needing it, the we have an event every week the next year.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

fluid film will actually absorb into the metal.
    you can spray the whole machine well before you start your season to protect it from rust and it will absorb then give the shoot a shot before you use your blower.

if you spray it in your garage I would put down some cardboard or sweeping compound something just because it can really make the floor slippery on your initial application.
  4. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

Thanks Rc.
    My thought had been to spray the entire machine prior to the first use and respray the chute after each use in wet slushy snow. Maybe respray the chute and auger assembly monthly would be a better idea.

MTPC; I couldn't think of a reason not to do it some time before the first use, but since I have yet to spray any part of the unit, I had no idea.
    The comment about protecting the floor has been noted.
    I probably would have thought about it when I slipped and fell on my butt. I guess you could call that true hindsight.