1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Film undercoating as a business ?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by OnTheFarm, Aug 24, 2013.

1. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

Is anybody in the Fluid Film undercoating business here? Since I've got a lot of experience doing my own trucks, I've been thinking of doing it as a business. I checked the Fluid Film Undercoater Locator (www.fluidfilmundercoaters.com) and there were not many in Canada, but a lot in the states. I'm confused about the prices they charge. Some do it as cheap as $40-$50 per vehicle, and others charge $150-$200. Now I know that it takes me an hour to do a good job on a mid-size suv. Even if they buy Fluid Film at wholesale, they must be paying about $30 per gallon if it sells in the stores at $50. I use at least 3/4 of a gallon on every vehicle using the Fluid Film Pro Gun from Kellsport Products ( it works super and I've tried them all). So my question is... how can these guys charge $50 to undercoat a car when they are using $20-$30 worth of material alone ? It makes no sense. They have to be either really skimping on the application, or thinning the Fluid Film with something. I can't believe that with the setup/cleanup time they can do a job for maybe $20 bucks profit ? I'd like to hear from others that do this for a business. Maybe I'm missing something and I'm always willing to learn.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You cann't make money and do a good job at $50. We charge a minumum of $150 to do a full size vehicle.

Guys do the job differant I suppose, but by the time you clean the crap off, pull the rear light fixtures (if you've never done this take a rear fixture out of your PU and take a look inside ;) )attach the extender and do above stuff and inside of frame and body panels it takes a couple hours an the better part of a gallon to do a CC pickup.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Very popular business here in Maine. Most shops start at $150 for a car. That's just spraying the bottom. No lights pulled, rockers drilled, anything like that. All extra. Trucks are more$$. A couple shops I know are buying it in 55 gallon drums.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Look up Krown. It's a comparable product and cheaper to buy in Canada they will be your competition. They do a full size pick up $110. Drilled and lights. You get coupons for your next app. They clean up. They also have a salt neutraliser soap. It's an industry that's also changing under strick controls. You will need oil separator equip for your wash bay waste water ect. Not to deter.... just some info...in case you think it's spray and go...good luck.

5. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I have tried Krown, and your comments are exactly why I don't like it. It is a really low viscosity and I found it drips terribly. And I found that it continues to drip indefinitly. It makes a real mess. I have installed oil separators long ago and I was under the impression that most industrial/commercial shops that collected waste had to have them. Fluid Film is very thick and I get almost zero drip, and the cleanup is minimal. I put a large canvas drop-cloth under the vehicle and re-use it.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid Film isn't considered a waste hazard. Nontoxic, not harmful to vegetation or the environment. Since it is a waxlike substance once the carrier evaporates it doesn't run at all.

7. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I'm a huge believer of Fluid Film as an undercoating product, but I would never dispose of it in the drainage system. I never really understood how they label it "environment friendly". According to the Fluid Film MSDS sheet, the primary additive is Mineral Paraffinic Base Oil - 64742-54-7. That's highy refined petroleum oil. I'm assuming it also contains lanolin, but to a much smaller degree. When using from non-aerosol, the "carrier" is the petroleum oil. That does not evaporate. The Fluid Film that I have applied never dries to a "waxlike" substance. I have tried some other solvent based products that does become waxlike when the solvent dries, but I have not experienced that with Fluid Film.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to start an argument but can you explain why you'd pay $150+ for fluid film when you can get your truck oiled for around $50?

9. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

Because most educated people do care about the environment, and they would not be so inconsiderate as to intentionally pollute the ground with it.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Me neither, but very little goes anywhere but where you spray it if you're using the proper spray gun and when/if it does spill it takes a pretty slovenly individual to not be able to contain and clean it before reaching drains, etc.

From their MSDS.

Do not allow product to enter drains or water courses. Transfer bulk of material into another container. Absorb remaining residue with proper absorbents such as earth or vermiculite. Sweep up and dispose of as solid waste in accordance with applicable regulations.