1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid film + 3 inches of snow on blades

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by americanlawn, Dec 3, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn Junior Member
    from Midwest

3 of our trucks have just pulled in tonight (finishing our 2nd snow event). Last time, as well as tonight,, the plows came back with 3 inches of snow on their blades. I sprayed a full can of fluid film on all our plows (front & back) about a week ago. Now I'm thinking I should have not sprayed fluid film at all. What's up?. Did I do something wrong? Cuz fluid film has treated us right in all other applications.

rscvp, thanks

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Ya I had the same problem today.I am thinking it doesn't work on v plows very well.

3. hardpac

hardpac Junior Member

Same here.Brand new Boss V plow. Used a full can of Fluid Film. Had snow stuck all over the front of the blade.

4. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, are you guys storing your trucks / plows indoors? If so it could be caused by the temperature of the blade causing the snow to freeze. Especially if you are pushing your own lot first.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I was never big on spraying the front side of the plow for non sticking issues, same with under mower decks but its great to spray on moving parts and to keep bare metal rust freeish

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Snow will stick to your blade no matter what, I do like FF for all other applications though,

7. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Just wondering poly or steel I dont like spraying anything on my blade, but did last year with FF and never had that problem.

8. hardpac

hardpac Junior Member

Mine is steel. I agree with Stroker. Have been happy with FF as an anti-corrosive,but I haven"t had much luck with it when it comes to keeping grass off the underside of my mower decks or snow off the snow blades.

9. hardpac

hardpac Junior Member

It's kept outside, so temp. is not an issue. That's a good point, though. I remember one time last year, we had to haul snow from a lot just a couple minutes down the road from our shop. The dump truck left the shop (60 degrees) and the outside temp was - 5 :eek:
    We ended up scraping about half the load out with the back-hoe. :mad: :angry: :drinkup:

10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I was going to ask if anyone else had this same problem. Clearly it is a great anti-corrosive but not good for non-stick purposes. I used it as that based on another members post saying it was great for 'keeping snow off the blade'. It acts more like a glue than a wax when on the front of the blade. I've got to clean it off and wax the blade now :rolleyes:

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i dont think there is anything out there that will keep snow from sticking completly fluid film does a good job to help it but snow will stick sometimes no matter what you spray on it... JMO