1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FLUID FILM™ Before Spring Storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EurekaJC, Jun 14, 2016.

1. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

FLUID FILM™ is a great solution to prevent corrosion during the Winter Season but it is equally great for preventative maintenance during the off season. While your equipment sits in storage, leftover brine starts to cause rust and that corrosion eats away at your investment, drastically decreasing its lifespan. Cleaning and coating your equipment in FLUID FILM™ before you put it into storage is an excellent, cost effective way to extend the lifespan of your equipment and keep it on the road longer. At the Pacific Northwest Snow Fighters Conference we had a chance to look over some trucks that were only 1-2 seasons old. Nearly brand new rigs already rusting and corroding, including stainless steel parts. Even epoxy painted chassis weren't stopping brine from rotting away frames. You might want to take a look at some of these pictures before storing your equipment away for the Spring and Summer.
  2. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

Here are some more pictures.
  3. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

I got a small sample can mailed to me and then bought a big can and used on a plow I didn't notice any difference in protection to a like plow same usage without treatment. Now I do wash the equipment thoroughly after a couple of storms so it may have washed off? I don't use soap just pressure washer. Mayb I am expecting too much? We usually spray the frames and exposed to excessive salt areas with used Hydralic/ motor oil and seems to really slow down the rust. Especially for the cost of the used oil. Also heard used oil is acidic but like I said it seems a lot better than nothing on there.
  4. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

Thanks for the Input!
    Plow Blades to Frames is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The Plow Blade lubrication is more of a short term effect whereas being used as an undercoating will last much longer and is specifically designed to fight corrosion and displace moisture. It will also not drip unlike used oils and is non-hazardous/non-toxic. We would be happy to send you another sample so you could compare in a more 1-1 test.

thank you,
  5. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Member

mtnbktrek, Go to LOWES, spray can $10.00 . I use it on my entire plow,
    water beads up + runs off!! Right now it's 90 in the sun+ coated W/
    F/F !! Good Luck + :drinkup::drinkup:
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Used motor oil is not acidic in how you may think. The additive package breaks down and it will not provide the protection your engine needs.