1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Disappearing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mark13, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The pump on my unimount is somehow loosing fluid. I had friends keep an eye on the angle cylindes and I angled the blade back and forth about a dozen times and they said nothing leaked out of those. I then had them check the lift cylinder and its a bit damp but nothing visible came out. I have however lost about a 1/4 of a quart in about 3hrs of use. If its the lift cylinder, can I just replace seals or is that part nonserviceable?

Thanks, Mark

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

just tighten the jamb nut you'll be fine

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

And where is that located?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The packing nut is the large nut at the top of the lift cylinder (right where you see the wetness) It's normal for it to be a bit damp there, especially after a period of non use so don't tighten it if it isn't leaking enough to run down and actually drip off the pump..

A 1/4 of a qt is about 8 oz. which isn't much. If this is the first time you've used this plow since the install then it would be considered normal to need a fluid top off...

Just keep an eye on the fluid level for a while....

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Well the blade is 10 or 12 years old and I just noticed it was low after being on the truck for a while and getting hit. When we put it on my truck for the first time we checked the fluid level and it was right up at the top of the hole. I put more fluid in recently after I noticed it was leaking and cycled the ram up and down a little and noticed it was a tad low so I put in another squirt then put the plug back in.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you topped it off the second time with the lift ram all the way down, I'd say it'll be just fine but check it again after another use just to be sure.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Btw, Happy birthday Mark! :waving:

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks B&B.