1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid changes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Sep 27, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I searched but did not find what I was looking for....I have an 01 2500 HD ... I would like to know what fluid to use in the diffes I have posy or locking rear..I was told by dealer that they use Mobil synthetic...Do I use the same in front & rear .. How much in each to drain and refill ..I would also like to know what to use in tranfer case..Manual says Auto Trak II fluid...How much for a drain & refill... How much to drain and refill transmission with filter...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any good name brand synthetic fluids are fine, doesn't have to be Mobil 1. The rear diff will be factory filled with synthetic, but not the front diff...but synthetic in the front isn't a bad idea as well. Use 75W-90 in both diffs.

There has been much confusion as to the correct fluid to use in the T-cases in these trucks as I'm well aware that GM themselves for a time recommended the Auto Trak fluid in them....even though they are not an auto style T-case. They originally called for Dexlll ATF...and then changed their mind. It then seemed that GM felt that the Auto Trak fluid was the best thing they had for a while so they then recommended that. But has now superceded their info to use their MTF (manual trans fluid GM p/n 88861800). But ultimately you can run any brand of manual trans lube, doesn't have to be GM's. Many guys run Royal Purple's Syncromax MTL with excellent results. Redline's MTL is fine as well. Many home brew guys even run straight 5W-30 engine oil or a mix of ATF and 5W-30 together.

For APPROX capacities your going to need:

4 qts for the rear axle
    3 qts for the front diff
    2 qts for the T-case
    8 qts for the trans fluid & filter change

3. RichG53

...MTF is what weight.. ? ? ? Thanks a lot I could not find anything in my manual...I will print this out for future reference.......Does the oil need to be detergeent or non....MTF is what weight .. ? ? ? ?

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

B&B
    thanks for the info I have been running Autotrak2 fluid which is expensive and requires a trip to the dealer

Lou

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

MTF = Manual Transmission Fluid.

MTF isn't based on weight/detergent/non detergent etc. If it's MTF it's...well MTF. No choices..

But strictly for comparison purposes it's approx the same viscosity as ATF.

6. RichG53

I was referring to the motor oil you said some were using deter or non....? ? ?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter as far as the transfer case is concerned. And I know of no oil manufacture that currently makes 5W-30 non detergent oil with the correct classifications for automotive use anyway.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

To further clarify{or muddy up the water,depending on how you look at it},the manufacturer of the transfer case actually recommends 5/30 synthetic engine oil,GM does NOT however.They state in their article that ATF vaporizes too easily in their TC and to use 3 qts.of oil.You have to add that third qt.into the speed sensor hole right above the regular fill plug.I've done this on my '06 Dmax for about a year now and all is well.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I've been very pleased with the Amsoil synthetics in my truck. Contact your local dealer for applications or look it up yourself on their website. Don't pay full retail. It's a stupid marketing stunt, but if you pay $10 to be a "prefered customer" you end up saving much more than $10 on your first order.

I order mine online through a dealer I met at another forum. THIS LINK will let you order directly by mail order and give my dealer the credit. I make nothing from this endorsement, just spreading the word...

10. RichG53

Well B B do you have ant comments on the above replys... ? ? ? ?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm well aware that NVG does now recommend 5W-30 SYNTHETIC in these 261/263 T-cases due to previous problems with misting. Which is why GM no longer recommends the Dex3 ATF that they once did like I previously mentioned. And thats the trick, the synthetic part. The synthetic fluid (whatever type it may be) solves the misting issues that they had with these T-cases when they were speced to run on straight ATF.

GM's MTL is synthetic, AutoTrac ll is synthetic, Royal Purples Symcromax is synthetic, Redlines MTL is synthetic...and all of these are fluids that I recommended. Do you see the trend here?

As long as you run a synthetic fluid there is no need to overfill either. Since with the synthetic you have no misting issues.

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder why they dont run dex 6 in them? Maybe thats whats next. Anyone wana bet?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Possibly. But GM's speced Dex VI is not full synthetic (which again is what you want to run in these T-cases) it's a synthetic BLEND, as is some of the aftermarket classified Dex VI that meets GM's specifications for it.

But several of the aftermarket oil companies do now have a fully synthetic Dex VI. Amsoil is one I know.

14. brad96z28

Funny how must manufacturs leave out that little detail. (blend).

15. brad96z28

Valvoline dex 6 is full synthetic. I think Im gona flush my tranny with that actually.

16. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Just picked up a few quarts of this for my T-Case... :nod:

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your talking about the Allison equipped truck in your sig Brad don't waste your time or money on a Dex VI fluid....use Allisons own Transyd or TE-295 fluid. Better fluid for your money. :nod:

18. brad96z28

Where do u get it from?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any Allison dealer will stock it since it is of course Allison recomended for their transmissions. Some places online have it as well if you search around.

20. brad96z28