1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid change

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel Nick, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

Is there an easy way to replace the fluid with out getting air in the system. My drain plug will not come out at all. I was thinking of cracking a line, but I do not want to get air in the system. Any help would be apprecieated.
    Nick

2. JayMac

JayMac Member

I have a Unimount and it is for lack of better terms "self bleeding". Matter of fact the manual says to disconnect the lines to the angle cylinders and push out the old fluid then reconnect and angle both direction a couple of times to bleed the air. But you would not be able to drain the system that way. The other option to draining the fluid is to pull the motor. All that being said, I assume you have an older system. You can get all that info from the Western site too.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not possible to drain the fluid without getting air in the system. Fluid goes out, air has to go in. What style of Western do you have? Uni? Ultra? Or conventional?

4. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

B&B, if im not mistaken, I have an older uni-mount plow.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, since were dealing with a Uni mount here then I'd pull the pump off the lift frame and try and get the drain plug out before I did anything else. Now is the time to do it or it's gonna be a real pain to service this pump when/if the need arises again, and you can forget about not getting air in the system as your gonna need to remove the pump from the lift frame to work on the plug so you'll need to remove the hoses and all the fluid anyway. Remove the fill plug and flip the pump over to get as much fluid out as possible. Then put JUST A LITTLE heat to the drain plug to try and remove it.Or you can weld a nut to it and then screw it out.

The only other alternative to having a drain plug is to remove the motor off the housing and dump the fluid out through the motor mounting hole, which isn't a bad idea to do once in a while even on a pump that you can get the drain plug out of, as it allow's you to get into the sump and wipe out all the crud and junk and clean the magnet (if it has one).

6. JayMac

JayMac Member

Yeah I agree pull the whole assembly from the mount. Then pull the motor like B&B said so you can clean everything well. You will be surprised what you clean out of the reservoir.

Good luck!