1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rcgm, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I was wanting to get my tranny fluid and filter changed.Should I do the differential fluid to?Should I take it to my chevy dealer?Or a quick oil change place?What do you think both will cost me?

Thanks Guys
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Give us some more info and I'm sure someone can help.Truck, miles, usage, that sort of stuff.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

What motor/trans do you have? Differential fluid is extremely easy to change, and I would recommend you do it yourself. Tranny fluid can be very easy as well, but it depends on the tranny.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Changing trans fluid by just dropping the pan is a joke. Take the truck to a shop with a suction system. it will get all the fluid from the torque converter and all the little nooks and cranny's just dropping the pan leaves behind.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You do still need to change the filter every once in a while. However, basher is correct. A power flush for the trans actually replaces ALL of the trans fluid and usually costs about $100. I do this every spring along with the front, rear diff's, transfer case and power flush of the radiator coolant too. I'm more nureotic on maintance though.
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Just a warning, doing a power flush is great, but can damage some transmissions. The Allison, which is what I have with the diesel, has been known to become damage by dowing power flush procedures. In these cases, you have to flush the tranny using the lines that go to the cooler.