1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Change.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KoolAidMan888, Oct 24, 2010.

1. KoolAidMan888

KoolAidMan888 Member

hi guys im going to change the fluid in my plow.. How many quarts of hydrolic fluid do i need. and is there anything else that i should be doing to get ready for winter and plow season??

2. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

I always just buy a gallon of fluid and fill it until it's full. And as far as more stuff to do to be ready. I would have to say after you change the fluid hook the plow up and check to make sure everything works lights, up,down,right,left, check hoses for cracking, connections etc. Do you have a salter? I would also suggest fluid film on everything little pricey but well worth it. Maybe get some replacement parts to keep in your truck in case of problems at 3 am like extra hoses,solenoids and so on.JMO. GOOD LUCK THIS WINTER.:waving:

3. KoolAidMan888

KoolAidMan888 Member

ok sweet thanks yea i have a Buyers Hitch salter.. anything i should do to that??

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

FF the heck out of it

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:nod::nod:

6. KoolAidMan888

KoolAidMan888 Member

whats the difference between Fluid Film and PB blaster??

7. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Apples and Oranges my friend...

Oranges are ok, but an apple-a-day... well, you know! Can't go wrong with FF!

8. KoolAidMan888

KoolAidMan888 Member

OO ok ill go get some.,. Thanks i appreciate the help..

Also clearly im new to plowing..
    Do u normally leave the plow on your truck after a storm.?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No. Unless there is snow coming again real soon, or you don't need to take the truck anywhere.

10. KoolAidMan888

KoolAidMan888 Member

Is it necessary for me to change the fluid out of the angle rams to??

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you MUST empty the angle rams.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ummmm......

I agree it is wise, and beneficial, to empty the rams. But I think it's a stretch to say you MUST empty the rams.

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

maybe MUST was pushing it. if you want to change your fluid you SHOULD empty the angle rams.