1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid change really required?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hbrady, Nov 25, 2015.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

For 11 years my Curtis plow never had an official fluid change but it leaked enough (1/2 qrt per season) so I guess it technically did;) Now I've got a Fisher HD plow (1 year old) and I noticed the manual mentions 'annual fluid change'. Really? Something tells me an annual change is more about Fisher selling their $30 per gallon fluid than necessity. I plow one 400' private road and a couple of driveways, I would think an occasional fluid check and change every 3-4 years would suffice. Agree, disagree? :cool:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The point of changing the fluid is to get any contaminates out of the system. Water will destroy the system in no time. Debris can get caught in valves.

So IMO change the fluid every year. A little now or a lot later.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Fluid can gunk up and cause blockages in pump. Yes change every year

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you spend 2 hours a storm, each season ?

Well, then I wouldn't change it for at least 3-4 years either. :eek: It's when you're putting 8 hours plus per storm, 10 + storms a season, whereas the fluid gets all rankin and nasty. I dump my fluid half way through the season, on very busy years. It's full of contaminants that are resulting from bits of dirt bypassing seals, parts of seals falling off into the fluid, etc. If you use it a lot, then change it often. If not, then why bother ? well, that's up to you. You could do a draw test and suck some of the fluid out during the season and look at it or have it tested.

Food for thought...

The thing about not changing it is you're allowing any moisture that's in the system to stay there, and corrode the parts / pumps / cylinders from the inside out. This is why I spend the $20 and dump it half way through.

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Every year before it sits for the summer.............

Maybe your old plow would not have leaked if you had changed it?

6. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

the heating/cooling of the fluid causes condensation to form inside, water leads to rust.

not a plow pump story, but relevant here (I think)

My gearbox went out on my John Deere 47" snow blower ($900) it had 2 chipped teeth on the ring gear and the shaft splines where toast. Talked to a Deere mechanic about it and this is his theory as to what happened:

gearbox heats up and cools down, condensation forms, water is lighter then oil, upper teeth on shaft and ring gear sitting in water= rust= failure, because nobody filled the gearbox with oil periodically.

Now I raise up the blower, take out the filler plug, fill the gearbox till oil runs out, forcing the water out also. lower blower, top off oil,replace plug.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

IMO...every year is overkill. You are spot on for them wanting to sell plow fluid. If you think it helps, then by all means do it. My plows are always stored inside so maybe that helps. I've never changed my Boss V's fluid and it was bought in 1998. Still works perfectly.

8. kimber750

Find a new dealer ASAP. Water is not lighter than oil. Oil will sit on top of water.

Back to plow fluid. Looks like this going to be another ford vs chevy deal. Those of you who don't follow the manufactures recommendations do you follow them for your truck? By the thought process of some we shouldn't bother changing oil every 3k, maybe 30k is better or once a year. It so hard to spend that $20-30 to maintain your $4k-8k investment that makes you money. To me not changing the fluid makes about as much sense as only having rear brakes. :dizzy:

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I will go with this one :nod:xysport:mechanic:

10. jonniesmooth

ok

but then that makes my point even stronger. then the water is at the bottom and more metal is sitting in it then if it was reversed.
    So then you need to suck out the fluid and refill.
    I'm glad I said something and someone caught it.

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

For me I do it every year. It's cheap insurance in my opinion. I need it to work, and it makes me a lot of money, so the 30 bucks isn't a big deal.

12. kimber750

That is the entire point of changing fluid, get the contaminates out. So just the topping off of the fluid to get water out will never work. Just Meyer pumps I rebuild failed because of water. We seem to be agreeing in a backwards kind of way but have different remedies for the issue.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Waiting for the op to come back.

14. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Busy making a pumpkin pie! Ok, so which tires are best? (Ha ha). Looks like a variety of opinions BUT I did notice water spraying out of my impact wrench tonight from...condensation in compressor tank. So, to avoid expensive repairs I will be changing fluid. Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

15. dieselss

That was easy, thought you were gunna need more convincing and picture proof.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Lemon Meringue guy myself...god that sh!t makes me happy.

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

For you guys that change the fluid every year do you just do the tank or do you completly flush the system. The wideouts and other plows have 4 cylinders and lots of hoses that all hold fluid that wont get drained from the tank.

18. dieselss

Completely flush including removal of the tank

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like to change mine every year. Like other said you never know how much water or debris is in your fluid.

20. jonniesmooth

drain plug

my gearbox doesn't have a drain plug, so I thought I would use the suction gun.
    Yes, we are in agreement.