1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid change on a Boss plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I ran a search but not too much specific about the boss plow.

I just bought my plow this season and the previous owner never changed the oil, I asked and he said never since he got it. The plow is approx 6 years off it's a boss straight blade with the RT II hook up.

I know the pump has a drain plug but what is the best way to drain the angle cylinders?? Also how much fluid will I need to get to re-fill the system? Should I just warm up the fluid and then drain, install the plug and refill with the idea it's good to go or should I somehow flush the system??

Thanks for the info!!

2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Drain the main pump clean & fill.

Remove the hose at each ram, remove fitting and then work the blade in to completly compress fluid out of the ram. Use a small tip funnel to refill ram with it fully extended to reduce air in the system.

Remove air from system ( bleed ) and fill as necessary.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you may want to replace the screens inside the reservoir. there are two of them. its not hard at all.
    first you need to unhook the plow from your truck. then you make sure to mark then un hook all the hydraulic lines from the top of the manifold. next drain the fluid out. then unhook the up/down cylinder and lay the tower backward until it stops. pull the pump cover off. remove and mark the 2 lines that go from the pump to the manifold. remove the power leads to the pump. remove the 4 bolts holding the pump/reservoir inside the tower. remove the fill elbow on the side of the tower. pull the pump/ reservoir out. remove the 4 bolts holding the reservoir to the pump and pull it apart. it could get messy with hydraulic fluid going everywhere. check the screens out, but you should probably replace them.