1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid change~~~ Now nothing works :-(

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Medicjdl, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

OK, here we go. I did a fluid change. Now if the wings are closed it will raise the plow about 2inch off the ground. O and it won't extend the wings at all. Fluid also is running out of the vent cap. :confused: I think I broke my first real plow..... HELP PLEASE !!! BB I KNOW YOUR ALWAYS FUN OF HELPFUL INFO !!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it just aerated the fluid. Allow it to set for a few hours at least, recheck the fluid level and try it again.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who told you BB is full of fun?

4. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

you had no problems before you changed the fluid??

5. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

No everything worked great before the fluid change! Thanks BB I will try it again today... wish me luck

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be sure it's full before attempting to try any movements again...or you may aerate it again right off the bat. :gunsfiring:

7. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

OK, so I will hook it up to the truck. Then check the fluid? If it's full try to move it right ?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Connect, check fluid to be sure it shows in the fill elbow, and then try a few functions.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

nasty filters perhaps???

10. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Where are the filters located? I can check them.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A two year old Boss better not have the filters plugged to the point that it won't function or you've got bigger problems.Not that it isn't a good idea to check them periodically but if it worked until you drained the fluid I'd be suspicious of that specifically causing your issue.

Filters are located inside the reservoir. Requires pump until removal from the lift tower and reservoir removal from the pump unit for access.

12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

According to my boss there can sometimes be what he calls "snot" in there that wont bother anything until you drain the fluid out,it will float around in there fine....but when drained it gets down in the filter and causes a clog. Personally I have no idea....but thats what he thinks it may be

13. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

To have continual aeration. One of the screens had to fall off or the return tube came off inside the reservoir. all of this doesn't really make sense; saying it worked fine before. That is one of the only ways you can get fluid coming out of the vent with actually taking the plow off and collapsing the lift cylinder. Like B&B said the screens are located in the reservoir. Good luck and let us know of anything else.

14. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

OK guys, after looking the plow over, I noticed that I am a complete moron! I unscrewed this screw in the picture thinking it was the drain.... Now I know it is not. I just took it out again and made sure the springs inside were in there correctly. Or at least what I think is correct. I'm now going to drain the fluid CORRECTLY, and try this again. What does this bolt/ screw do?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  15. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

That bolt is know as the HYD01693 - VALVE,RELIEF KIT/POWER UNIT

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep it the pressure relief for the pump. If it isn't installed correctly you'll have little pressure to lift or operate the wings as the pump will simply bypass fluid pressure back into the reservoir excessively...usually aerating the fluid in the process. Sound familiar? :D

17. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Ha yeah it does!

18. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I think must have screwed something up, it is still doing the same thing.... The springs inside look like they line up ok. But it still doesn't work. It will lift up about an inch or so.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Recheck your work because the pressure relief is the only thing you disturbed and it's definitely not making pressure. You really should have it reset with a gauge on it.