1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Change Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Got Snow, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

Good Morning!

My Truck:

'93 F350 Reg Cab/Long Bed
    7.5L/BW 13-56/E4OD
    Dana 60 Monobeam Front/Ford 10.25 Rear Limited Slip

Doing a complete fluid change on my truck and have a few questions:

I want to change the tranny fluid:
    a. Should I Drain the Tourque Converter?
    b. I want to add a cooler. Suggestions?

I want to change the Transfer case fluid:
    a. Even though I don't have a PTO installed, I should fill from the front and add about 6qts. Correct?

I want to change my rear diff fluid:
    a. How do i refill after draining with no fill plug????
    b. Do i need to use an additive for the Limited Slip?

Thanks in advance!!!:waving:
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,you should drain the convertor.It holds a lot of fluid,and you want to get as much out as possible.When you have the trans pan off,add an aftermarket drain plug,like a B&M.Makes it much easier to change it next time.Use only a Ford filter,as a lot of the aftermarket stuff is crap.

Get the biggest cooler you can find,and add it inline with any factory coolers and the radiator cooler.Fluid should go from trans,to new cooler,to the radiator,and back to the trans.Use only the correct 5/16" trans fluid line,not fuel line,as it will soften and fail.Using a band style hose clamp,instead of a worm gear will prevent the clamp from chewing through the line,and leaking,or coming loose.

Not sure which transfer case you have,but most Ford's are pretty straightforward.Drain the old and refill with new.Both drain plug and fill plugs are usually on the rear side of the case.Consider using a synthetic trans fluid for this application,for added protection.

The rear axle should have a fill plug just behind the pinion,pass side,on the front of the diff.Use a suction gun,or a narrow oil bottle with a nipple or ext hose to fill.You should also look at synthetic gear oil for this application.

You may or may not have to add the friction modifier to the limited slip.Are you sure you have one ? If not,check for clutch packs inside when you have the cover off.After the fluid change,take it for a drive,and do some tight figure eights and see if you get any chatter from the rear.If the tires are chirping,and it chatters,add a few ounces of Ford friction modifier and test drive again.Add an ounce at a time until the chatter goes away,doing figure eights each time to get the stuff up into the clutch packs.You should have just a tiny bit of chatter around a tight corner.If not,it may not work correctly when you need it to.
  3. jeepplow

jeepplow Junior Member

Trans/diff/transfer case oil change

I have heard that after about 100k miles, the trans/diffs/transfer case oils should not be changed but only kept at the correct level. Of course, significant leaks would require draining. I've heard this from many mechanics.

What is your opinion on this? It sounds as though you have alot of experience with the Fords.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Spent many many years at a Ford dealer,and many more running a car\truck repair shop.

A lot of the newer rears are considered "lubed for life".I'm not a big fan of that crap,unless it's a little passenger car.For what we use our trucks for,they need to be changed.If you read deeper in some of the owners manuals,or maintenance requirements,it tells you when to change it for heavy use,and some even recommend synthetic fluid.

If you go synthetic,you can get away with longer drain intervals,and get better protection,but it still needs to be changed now and again.
  5. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I just had the trans and t-case re-built, and I did the R/I my self, which ment I filled the fluids. The trans will hold 16qts, t-case just 2qts. Its very important that when you fill the trans, your not going to get all 16 in one shot do 5 or 6 at a time and run for only a FEW seconds and shut it off. The pump will suck it through fast and if it goes dry there go the clutches.:nono:

good luck:waving:
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Heres a link to a good article Ford tranny fluid change
    I'm not sure if it applies to the older Fords, but it works good on the 1999 and up.
  7. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

Mercron V

CPSS that link you sent says not to put mercron v in the tranny.

well what would you know 2 case of this stuff in my garage......

should i use this in my '93 E4OD? (the link was for a '99+)
    the back of the bottle says its compatible with almost all types of tranny fluid and after all it is "premium" tranny fluid.......:rolleyes: