1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid change... filter?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MIDTOWNPC, Nov 21, 2011.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I change my fluid annually however I have not changed the filter on these plows and they are now two years old. should the filter be changed.

looks like its a decent amount of work to get the pump off.

wideout and an mvp plus.
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I asked my western dealer the same thing. THey said as long as the fiter looks clean then it is fine. The aslo said to make sure you drian the angle rams as well as draining the resivoir.

But to see the filter don't you have to take the pump off?
    I'm familiar withe the fluid change part
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should be done since it's been two seasons, mostly to clean any moisture/sludge from the reservoir. You don't normally have to replace the filter, just clean it while you're cleaning the reservoir out.

ok I will take it apart and do it right.

anything else I should be looking for while I am in there.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the gear pump bolts are snug. I find many loose.

Check and clean all connections while the cover is off and you're in there anyway. I find loose terminals on the motor studs from time to time.

Check that the motor is tight to the manifold as well. Again, I find many of those loose and the motor half falling off.

A little anti-seize on the reservoir screws is good preventative maintenance for next time too. The pump cover doesn't do an outstanding job at keeping the weather out so they can still get corroded like the "open air" pump units. And a little grease on the reservoir base O-ring is wise too.
  7. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Do u got to take the pump off to get the reservoir off ?
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not on these units. On the EZ-V you're running, yes.