1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid change day. What kind of rear end gear oil and posi fluid?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by shep28, Nov 10, 2012.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

It was nice to see that there were no metal shavings on my magnet and the gears look like new. I have seen conflicting info. on the type of gear oil that I should purchase.
    75w90 or 75w140 rear or 80w90

How much of the posi additive do I add? I have 4.10 rear. Limited Slip
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

What year truck? 03 and newer:75-90 synthetic, no friction modifier needed. 02 and older: any good gear oil plus friction modifier. A Dana rear will run almost anything.
  3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

get 2 qts of gear lube and put the whole small bottle of friction modifier in. You'll end up a little gear lube unused because of the posi additive.
  4. jhenderson9196

2003 and up trucks use AAM axles. They have gear type posi units and DO NOT use any additives.
  5. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

jhenderson is on the mark, I do think the axles are supplied by American Axle from 03 and newer. Dodge may have gone back to Dana in more recent years.
  6. jhenderson9196

No, they have not
  7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Jhenserson is correct, no modifier needed on the 3/4-1tons. I put AMA il in my truck and the rearend chattered really bad. I though the rear end was goin out. Ran it like that for about 10,000miles and the witches to mobile 1. Problem went away instantly.