1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid capacity question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by musicars, Mar 9, 2009.

1. musicars

musicars Junior Member

I've got a 8 ft. Western with 10" angle rams on a '94 F-250. When I do fluid changes, I collapse the lift ram all the way to the bottom, then disconnect the hoses on the angle rams and push them in all the way to the stops. This time I removed the motor so I could change the filter and cleaned the reservoir out completely. The manual has the capacity at over 2 quarts (2-3/8 I think) but mine takes less then 2 quarts (and less than 2 comes out when drained). Is there something I'm missing? Do the units tip forward more on some trucks than on others because this would bring the fluid level plug down a little. I'm mostly concerned about getting all the old fluid out because I have had freeze up problems on a regular basis and want to make sure I get any water out. I'd appreciate any input.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Your not missing anything, the little bit that your not getting out is hiding in the valves and porting in the pump.