1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flowstat pump problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hna597, Sep 9, 2011.

1. hna597

hna597 Junior Member

Hello,
    Have a ultramount and hooked it on the truck yesterday, The pump was making a high pitch wineing noise. The blade was just inching up and right and left if I bumping the control. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sounds like it could be your motor. When mine went out, right before it did I was able to get it up by bumping the controller and then it just stopped. Put jumper cables on it and nothing. Pull the motor out and see what it looks like. If it is bad replace soon, when mine went out it also screwed the pump up.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like its just low on oil. Check the fluid level. Generally if the pump fails it is catastrophic and parts jam it up so it won't turn at all. That causes excessive current draw dimming your lights and sometimes stalling the engine. If it was going up at all and moving right & left a bit the pump is still working so its not a broken motor shaft or pump drive. Check the oil.....

4. hna597

hna597 Junior Member

I checked the oil this morning and it is full, the filter was changed in Feb. I will try to get the motor off and check that.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I bet it is full of magnet dust. I don't know anyone that has an amp tester but you can see how many amps it is drawing it you want to be lazy and not take it off. Think it is around 190 amps if it is good. Mishnick probably knows as he is a mechanic for western plows.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The current will peak at around 200 A but should be lower than that for continuous operation. Initially it draws a lot to overcome static resistance and then levels out once things are spinning. Of course it will draw more power to lift than it will to angle. It certainly may just be dust & dirt in the motor, I would pull the motor off and inspect it. Be carful to keep the brushes under control when you pull it. They can be difficult to put back together because there are four brushes and springs. It would be nice to have six hands to put them together again. Not sure what kind of plow you have exactly but if it is the old isarmatic you can spin the motor when it is off the pump assembly. That would be a good way to isolate the sound to the motor or pump. If it still whines when it is out of the pump then you can be sure it is in the motor. If the sound stops then it is in the pump side of things.

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Not sure how similar these are, I have a fisher insta act. Mine would occasionally make a similar sound and the plow would hardly move. If I let off the button and tried again, it would work fine. Sometimes it took a few times to work ok. From what I could tell, it was a bushing in the manifold. I just replaced it. I haven't had time to get everything back together yet, I need to get some fluid and hoses first. I'll let you know how it is when I am done though.