1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Floor Jacks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mabepossibly, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

I stripped the gears out of my oem widow maker jack after collecting yet another nail. Anyone have a recomendation for a decent compact jack to carry on the truck? I'd rather have a regular floor jack, not a fan of bottle jacks...I've had them tip too often. Bonus points if you can find one not from China. Im not crawling under a 4 ton peice of metal with a $30 Walmart special holding it up.
  2. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

^^ I personally don't care for that style jack. Insufficient power to lift a corner of my truck and it doesn't even have the lift height to change a tire on my wife's Audi. To be fair, mine is not the "SUV" jack with the extended plate thingy, otherwise its identical. Good way out if money is tight though.

I'd rather get a full size floor jack with better hydraulics, a longer lift handle and bigger lift plate. Not much more money.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

How about trying a highlift jack or a farm jack? You could carry it behind the seat of your truck, will lift, push and could be used to pull you out if you get stuck a little. :mechanic:
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

have you ever seen one of those kick out? not my first choice to be using in ice and snow, or ever. (Not just bashing, I own one and I carry it when off road, but its never my weapon of choice if I can avoid it)
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't mind spending the green, OTC makes a real hydraulic floor jack in aluminum. All the power and lift, half the weight. Very nice, about $300.