1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flooded out snow plows under 5 feet of water

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snow game, Apr 7, 2010.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Any ideas outside of changing fluids on what should be done to snow plows that were submerged in water? I have 15 Fishers Min mount 1 & 2, Vplows and XLS, all were submerged in a recent flood. are they trashed or what pm steps can be taken?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Change the fluid and clean the connections spray with FF and test it out.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drain the fluid, then cover them with fluid film fill with Meyer Hydra-Flush and operate.

After putting the plow though it's functions drain the hydra-Flush and refill with a premium snowplow fluid.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Coat with FF asap. and do like Basher said

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

make sure to pull the covers on the elec boxs and get water out of them, maybe spray inside of elec box with wd40, it is a water displacement spray, also maybe make sure there is no water in elec motors, worst come to worse, claim on ins, get new plows, sell the old one to plowsite members for cheap if ins dont want them back

6. grandview

FF please.

For your ad you can put in it ,washed at the end of the season!

7. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

FF? what are you talking about?

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

fluid film

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

That's why I put a life jacket on my plow (you know living on an island and all and being in the middle of the Detroit river)

but wow, were the plows full of dirt and debris from the water? And how many trucks were under water?

11. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

is fluid film safe for electronics?

12. grandview

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

People spray cans of WD-40 with Fluid Film to keep the WD-40 from rusting

14. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

non one has still anwesered my question does your fluidfilm remove moisture from electical components, from what i see it will keep moisture out, but will it remove moisture that is allready there?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes it will displace water

16. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

thanks, thats what i was wondering, i am going to have to try to find some up here in northern maine, would like to try it out, almost time to put the plow away

17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

How many trucks were under water?

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My guess is probably none. Since they have wheels and motors and can move themselves quickly out of the way.

19. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

We had about 10 trucks under water all but 3 had mechanical problems prior to the storm, but the water came in so fast we had a lot of support equipment and inventory we could not move and some stuff that we would not have thought to move. Tow behind compressors, plows, attacments, shop equipment, the list goes on and on. Still counting how much money we lost.