1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flood light wiring help?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnCrafters, Dec 8, 2003.

1. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters Junior Member

I'm installing a floodlight on the rear of one of my trucks with a dual throw switch, so that I can either turn it on or have it come on with the reverse lights. I'm using a relay and my problem is that I can't locate the wire from the gear shifter that activates the reverse lights. I need to tap into this to trigger the relay. I know I could just tap off of the reverse light power wire, but that would mean running wire all the way from the back of the truck back up to the relay in the cab.
    The truck is a 2000 Silverado 2500. My question is does anyone know where this wire is or what to look for? I know others have done this same setup. Or is there something else i could tap off of?
    Thanks.

2. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Do you have a trailer tow package? If so it would be simpler putting the relay in the back closer to the light itself. If the GM setup is like most you will have a seperate 12 volt source with HD wiring, and you will have a source for the backup light directly from the trailer plug! Then all you have to do is run a small wire bundle back.

It is probably better for the higher load circuit (your add on lights) to be closer to a solid 12v source at the relay.

Good luck

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Lawncrafters,

I did just that, put two PIAA lights in the back of my truck and tapped into the trailer wiring harness, the plug itself had the schematic of which wire was for reverse/stop/turn, etc. PIAA sends a big relay for every set of lights, I mounted the thing in the back, ran a 12" wire to the harness and away I went.

Hope this helps.

Frank

4. LawnCrafters

I thought of doing it that way, I just wanted to have the relay in the cab in a control box I made. But you're both probably right that it would be better to have the power source back by the light.
    Actually since the reverse wire on a 7 blade trailer hookup is meant to run the reverse lights on large RV trailers, couldn't I just run the lights directly off that? Then I wouldn't even need the relay and extra wiring. It should handle the load?
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Lawncrafters, you absolutely right, after I did my install my buddy said the same thing, no relay required at that point.

6. LawnCrafters

Cool, that makes my job easier.
    By the way Eyesell, where in southern Michigan are you? I'm outta Royal Oak.
    Thanks again.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Allen Park, only problem rain all day today and NO SNOOOOW !!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

8. LawnCrafters

I just realized that runng the lights straight off the trailer wiring wouldn't allow me to run them on a switch like I was trying to do. Unless I ran wire all the way back to the cab. So that really puts me back in the same boat.
    But, problem solved...With a little probing and a wiring schematic, I found the reverse wire under the dash. So I can go with my origional plan.