1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Floating Cutting edge??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ex1900Driver, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Ex1900Driver

Ex1900Driver Junior Member

Hi

My ATV has what Polaris refers to a "Floating wear bar" or Cutting edge. Basically it has a curved cutting edge so that I don't dig up my dirt driveway.

Is there such a thing for the standard truck sized plows or would that be something that would have to be manufactured afterwards??

Thanks
    GDC

2. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

I don't think that an edge like that is made for truck blades.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have heard of people taking a piece of pipe, putting a slit the length of the pipe, putting it over the cutting edge, and welding it to the cutting edge on both sides. I've never done it, but it sounds like a good idea if your doing a lot of gravel lots or drives

4. Ex1900Driver

Ex1900Driver Junior Member

In the case of my ATV is works great, I don't have to keep replacing skids that the gravel usually destroys, but then again the plow barely weighs 150 pounds. I'm just considering all my options for my 3000 foot gravel drive.

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I use a chunk of 3" gas pipe with a slit in it, I keep it in the back of the truck, when I get to a paver drive I slide it on

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Do you have a way to make sure it stays on, or is it tight enough on the cutting edge that when you lift the blade it doesnt fall off. I like the idea of being able to install or remove it quickly, i would just worry it would end up in the snow bank after a couple of passes

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would assume you would need a couple of pins drilled through and attached to the corners of the blade to keep it on.

8. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It takes quite a bit of force to get it on. The plastic pipe is extreemly hard to spread apart. I have little "tabs" welded on to the blade on the front and the back, so for the pipe to pull off it would have to pull over those tabs. Even before without the tabs it never came off, the tabs were just insurance. I didnt do a lot of backdragging though, straight forward pushing was enough to keep it on by force.( Patent Pending ):D

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I didnt realize it was plastic. How long does one last you?