1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

float?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dgfbmx22, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dgfbmx22

dgfbmx22 Junior Member

when plowing, do i keep the control down in float or do i take it out of the float position??

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

When plowing paved surfaces keep the control in "float" mode.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Except when backdragging

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Why not when back dragging? Plow is on chain, it will lift up if it hits something. If not in float and your back wheels go down(backing out of a drive etc), the plow will raise off the ground leaving snow behind.

5. ajslands

Because on if you have it in float when beackdragginh, the plow starts to lift. And when ur not in float backdragging you can pull more snow

6. toddon22

toddon22 Member

im pretty new to this. im assuming when you speak of the "float" posistion you mean having the control stick in the down posistion when plowing?

7. dgfbmx22

dgfbmx22 Junior Member

yess toddon

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Meyer has a chain lift. Not sure what plow you are using, but with Meyer you cannot lock the plow down.

9. ajslands

Ohhh I guess i didn't fully read the first post, bur I have a boss that's why I said that, also iAm on my iPhone and can't see any of he signatures

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  10. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

I would like to know how the plow will lift when backdragging in float

11. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

because so much snow piles up underneath then pushes the blade up while back dragging

12. ajslands

A+ answer....

13. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

thanks i used meyer plows for the first 5 years of my snowplowing career now i own a boss v-xt plow and i pay attention to alot and some people just dont know how to slow down and look at things for 5 extra seconds but yet wanna make it all sound like rocket science i mean no offense to anyone here but thats just my observation alone from my fulltime job in towing and recovery

14. ajslands

Did you get the locking hydraulics with that boss v?
    Also I agree with the half a$$ job stAtement.