1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Float?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by woodsman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Hi all, Can someone tell me what float means and whats its use is on the plow.

I have a western plow on a 96 F-150 ad i have no clue what this means or what its use is.
    Thank Jim

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

OMG are you flipping kidding? This site gets better and better every day. Its when your plow is all the way down and there is no tension on the plow and the plow is basically "floating" along the ground.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just means no pressure on the cylinder and the plow just"floats" over the parking lot and follows the contour of the lot.

4. grandview

well he is from Friendship .

5. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Well while i am sorry i am not as experienced as you and as knowledgeable about plowing you must have had to learn from someone right?. Relax bro. I am doing the same.
    I just bought a 96 F150 with a western plow at auction from the town of Batavia for 1100 and its a great truck so far.
    I have been plowing with a 83 blazer for 10 years with a meyers plow on it. I never heard about the float so i thought i would ask.. Thanks for the sarcastic reply and thanks to Grandview for his response. I am from Franklinville NY and i know how to move snow, we get plenty of it every day during the winter, also my driveway is 1800ft long on a hill.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Strange because your old Meyer would have had a float position too...perhaps you simply wasn't aware of it. What style controls did it have? Single or dual toggles?

7. grandview

Franklinville ,my friends kids live down there. Looks like you'll be needing a new cutting edge soon.

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

It was single control mounted on dash. I just plowed my own driveway with it i bought the truck/plow for 400 bucks 10 years ago and just replaced the flywheel and it was a great truck but it is now falling apart but still plows great. Like i said i bought it and did not know squat about plowing so i just took my time and learned on the job!!. I don't kow all about the plows but i do know how to move snow we get well over 200" a season easy here and i have a 8 degree road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 83 blazer

9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I don't know a hell of alot about bullets but i shot this last year....:nod:
    [​IMG]

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your single lever had a float position then. When you flipped it to the fully down detented position...that was float.

Your Western is the same way except it likely doesn't have a physical detent. It automatically goes into float when you press the joystick down and then springs back into the center position.

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Nice rack. Seeing that makes me hungary for some summer sausage.

12. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks for your knowledge...

Jim

13. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

you think so. I think it will get me through winter road is gravel.. Franklinville is a great place... if you like snow...

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Lancaster NY.... mmm you know Kevin Buckley.... :)

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

"I don't know a hell of alot about bullets" That's funny!!!:drinkup:

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Float meens your plow with move freely along the plowing surface and it's not locked into one position.

17. amarklevy

amarklevy Junior Member

Watch out for me, I never had a plow before and I am learning, I just need some snow to practice.

18. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

It's an honest question. Trust you're satisfied with the guys who answered you respectfully

19. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

asking for advice for a reason....

and I should say ,men like you inspire me to go out and do the best with what ever I have. Your words remind me of the fiftys when in a god forlorn swiss alpine valley I would run behind a unimog/mercedes driven snow thrower and with the help of my wooden snow shovel remove the clumps that came tumbeling down the windrows.Now does this have anything to do with the issue you may ask?...Nothing! ...other than there are many contributors (and I say many...) and their career's that subconciesly are driven by similar stories or dreams from their youth to one day sit up in that behemoth and move what appear to be insurmountable amounts of snow (for a living).So I say kudos to you young men and when you are out there at 3am after months and months of plowing...just think about what got you there...

20. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks to all that helped me with this issue. I really appreciate it. I added 2 125 lb granite slabs in the bed of the truck for ballast. I found them in a dumpster next to where i work, they are 24"X24"x 4" thick... why did they throw them out?? don't know..