1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Float Spring location...XV2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ChevKid03, Dec 16, 2013.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Last storm was the first storm plowing with the new XV2..... I loved it. AWESOME backdragging ability.... probably because it weighs over 1000... anyway. The lift chain return spring isn't even CLOSE to being tight. I read the instructions for where to place it and it says "Fisher recommends putting the spring on the 9th chain link"... It doesn't make a difference when plowing as the plow still goes to float mode and the weight of the plow pulls the piston down anyway on un-even surfaces but when i take the plow off the truck its a pain to put the plow in float and manually push the triangle down all the way in order to remove the plow from the truck. Can I put that spring on a higher link? Not to sound like a dope but....

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It won't matter youll still have to push it down. If you put it on a higher link you're just loosing lifting height

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The spring is not designed to pull the lift ram all the way down, just put some slack in the chain. If you move it up to far it will damage the spring. The spring can in no way affect lift height, the lift ram will rip the spring apart.

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'm going to move it up a link or two... The chain is set good now. When the plow is in float mode the spring has NO pressure on it at all.... It actually lays to the side due to the lack of being pulled on.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the spring when the plow is up, not down.

6. Mine on my XV2 works fine. I'll try and count the links or take a picture for you.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I thought he confused chain with spring. Lol

8. Mine is on link 11 and the lift ram is all the way down
    My phone can't post a photo for some reason...

9. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks good sir... I will give it a try... Makes sense it's two up from mine.

10. here you go.....and yes I fixed the chain link that is open in the pic.

image (4).jpg

11. I never posted any pics when I got the truck so here are a couple...

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

12. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Nice looking setup... I see you greased up the center pin area. I used a rubber tipped grease gun to pump grease into the holes and it worked awesome.

13. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The spring stops stretching once the plow starts lifting (bottom of spring comes up with a-frame), so there should be little risk of breaking the spring even if set a little on the tight side. It only has to stretch as much as there is slack in the chain with the plow down.

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The spring only as to take up the chain slack, as soon as plow starts lifting it doesn't stretch anymore (the bottom of it is attached to a-frame which moves up). Shouldn't be much risk of breaking it unless you have a lot of slack in the chain, which you don't want for other reasons.

15. We actually tried tapping threads into the holes so we could install grease fittings but it didn't go well. Not enough depth to the holes before the tap bottomed out. I'll take the whole thing apart in the Spring and pull the hinge pin out and try it again.

16. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

Did you use a gun tap or bottoming tap. You can also grind the leads off which will give you more threads in the hole.before grinding leads off I would tap all your holes then grind the leads off and go back through the holes, that will help to keep the threads straight. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014