1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

float question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

This may be a stupid question, but I searched and could not find an answer.

I have a unimount plow that I recently bought. When I drop the plow and put the plow in float mode, it lowers but the cylinder does not lower all the way. I think the plow still floats but am not really sure. I have only had one chance to use it since I purchased it.

Is this normal or is the float not really working 100%?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The lift cylinder will never bottom out.. If you have too much slack in the chain, then take the slack out of the chain.

As for float,
    Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

3. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Thats kind of what I thought, but was just curious. Thanks.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You got to make sure though that you have some slack. If you are on a weird incline or spot that dips, then you want the plow to be able to "float" with the terrain. Too tight on the chain and the cylinder will bottom out and your plow won't get low enough in those spots.

5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

There s slack tge chain ill pay more attention next time I get to use the plow

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ah, come again? :laughing:

7. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

sorry posted from my phone. it translates into gibberish for me. Its an added feature :)

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

If you're in float, like you lower the plow and leave the truck running, you should be able to push down on the lift arm (will take a lot of weight) and slack the chain by compressing the cylinder. Like White Gardens said you want to have extra slack for when the ground is lower, but you also don't want so much that you can't lift the plow fully.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a easy way....Lift cylinder all the way down..Unhook the chain, pull it tight, then count 3 links up, then hook the chain into the slot.. That should be good enough slack for the plow..

10. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

thanks guys thats what I do, the reason I asked, is bc I have moticed on fishers, the lift triangle collapses all the way when put into float, and the western doesn't do that.

11. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Thats because the fisher has a cable and spring that drags the cylinder down the rest of the way even after the plow has touched the ground. The cylinder on the western will still collapse more when needed.

12. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

what's weird for me is that my one truck with the joy stick drops all the way when you bump it down, and the other with the handheld controller bumps down as much as you hold it, but the float light never comes on, no matter what...

13. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I think your float function on the stick might be broken.

14. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

could be i suppose

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What's this "lift chain" you guys speak of? :popcorn:

IIRC, the joystick control simply opens the lower valve, and holding it in the lower position for more than 3 seconds or clicking it again will activate "Float". The hand held controller will allow the plow to more gently coast down, and will stop anywhere you let off the button. Holding down the button for a few seconds should activate "float".