1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Float Mode Vs. Lowered

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Ok, for those that don't know, it's my first year plowing. Boss 8'2" V RT3 on a '05 Dodge Ram 3500. I just had my first night out plowing and now have some questions. Should I be plowing mainly in float mode or with just the blade lowered all the way before it goes into the float mode? What about when I'm in the V or Scoop positon?

Also when backblading, float mode or with just the blade lowered all the way?

I've noticed that the blade really hangs up on the slabs of concrete that are at slightly different heights. Jolts the truck pretty good. Is this normal? Would being in float mode vs. lowered all the way help with this? What about more or less speed, would that help/hurt?

Lastly how do attack driveway curbs? Go up the curb from the street, or go down the curb from the driveway into the street? Again float or just lowered?

Oh and maybe this is an obvious question, but does the blade still trip forward in float mode?

Thanks ahead of time for all the help! I know I have a lot of questions. :dizzy:

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

The blade will still trip in float. I just drop me blade the only time i go into float on purpose is to take it on and off the truck. The hard hitting you're feeling when you come to an uneven area in normal, just keep it slow and you won't feel it so much or break anything. I'm not sure I understand what asking about the driveway curb. At the end of the driveway your apron or approach should be pretty close to the same grade right? If not I would start on the highest part easier to go down than up. Hope this helps.

3. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I use float Almost all the time on my Vee. It does a better job that way. If you just lower it it stays at that predetermined height that you put it down at and will miss depressions and such. Those curbs can be a challenge. I like to be in the driveway and push down them but I make sure my blade is straight. Practice a little and see what works best for you.

4. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

I always have the plow in float. I just flip the rocker down and go.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Use float all the time. We run every peice we own in float, if you hit something float allows your blade to ride up over it. It aslo allows your blade to follow ground contours.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Like everyone has said "leave it in float" Blade will usually go over things instead of tripping.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

So is float mode when you hold the down button long enough it turns red like when mounting/dismounting the plow? i hardly got to plow last year so i didnt know this would help.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

on my meyer its a green light but yes thats it

9. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

On the handheld if you so desire you can also hit raise- twice- fast. (blade will come all the way up automatically.) Or hit down- twice- fast (blade will go all the way down automatically to float mode.) on the newer models.

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the float mode will let the plow ride as if there was a chain instead on a lift cylinder, like western or myer

11. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Keep it in float.

Another tip for ya:
    You know the buttons on the controller to control the left and right sides of the plow? For instance the top left one makes the left side go forward (like for scooping) and the bottom left makes it go down (for the vee position)? Well, if you hit both left side buttons at the same time the whole plow will angle to the left. Obviously the same thing is true for the right.

I have come across 3-4 guys that ran their plows for a long time and never knew this!

12. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks for all the replies and tips guys!

13. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I understand his question about plowing along the curbs. For instance, last night I was plowing some gated subdivisions. The street being maybe 4-5 blocks long and only about 24 ft wide.

Do you plow out from the curb on both side of the street to prevent the furrow from getting into the driveway? If so, you would still have snow in the middle of the street after 2 passes.

Clear as mud, right?

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I always use float. Double tap the down button.

I am not sure what you mean about going up the curbs. Would you not then be on the lawn?

Great info on the pressing both left buttons or both right buttons at the same time. I had no idea!

15. MJLsLawnCareNmo

In regards to the driveway curb topic that has caused some controversy, I'm talking about the at the end of driveways where they meet the street. (that hump you drive over when you enter and exit a driveway). I'd say where I live 95% of driveways (residential) and 30% of commercial drives have some sort of a curb. It helps mate the slope of the driveway and the street and also act as a gutter for run off water. The way I do it is I put the plow in float mode and in the straight position and drive out of the driveway so I essentially drop off the curb into the street. Not sure if this is the right way to do it but it seems to be the easiest on the plow and truck.

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

and its also illegal. how do you clean the snow off the street if you push out into the road(which is illegal!)? the only time my plow touches pavement im not paid to plow is when im cleaning off the end of the drive pushing in from the road and i make that as minimal as possible.

17. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Then after that, I'd run a pass along the curb. Then push THAT snow up and over the curb, off the road, on the lawn/etc.

It's not illegal to push snow off a property into a road as long as as it's removed off the road right?

If you have an easier way to do this let me know. I'm all ears. That's one of the reasons I created this thread. It's my first year plowing.

18. Indy

Indy Senior Member

plowing snow over the roadway depends on alot of things, like if it is a private street, road, lane or if you are a city or town or county.............Always, Always check in your area no matter what you read here.

In my city it is legal, but in alot.............it is a huge no no.......good luck

19. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Always float mode for me, unless there is a specific reason like punching through a snowbank in vee position.

I normally do a driveway entrance last, right before leaving. Be close to the curb and point the truck like you're going to do a very late right turn into the driveway, house-side wing in full scoop, roadside wing straight out. Drop the plow at the leading edge of the driveway then push forward (slowly) across the driveway entrance while moving the roadside wing to full scoop. When you hit the far corner of the driveway raise the plow over the curb and drive forward a smidge to stack the snow on that far corner. That way even if you do a sloppy job stacking and the muni plows bump the pile, it won't push your stacked snow across the driveway.

When I do a driveway a blade or two of snow generally goes 4-5 feet into the street but it's immediately stacked back on the property, I can't imagine getting a citation for that, it seems reasonable.

20. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

BTW, I am *not* recommending pushing all the driveway snow in the street and then stacking it on one corner all winter long. Plan so you can push as much to the side (on the property) as possible. The snow pushed onto the street and back on the corner of the driveway is just what you can't reasonably plow any other way.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008