1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Float issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mranum, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mranum

mranum Member

I have been running the same Unimount plow since '91 and after numerous fabrications and repairs I finally decided to retire it and the current truck it was used on. This weekend I picked up a '99 Unimount STD. Got the '95 Tahoe wired today and hooked it up. It seems to work pretty well except that it doesn't seem to want to "float". When I lower the blade I should be able to push down the lift arm but I can't get it to budge.

My other plow never had an issue like that. Any ideas?

All other actions seem fine. Up and side to side, but the drop speed seems really fast.

ussmileyflag

2. mranum

mranum Member

Truck and plow in question.

downsized_1006131701a.jpg

3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

When it does not want to float try moving the wiring harness 9 pin connector or poss controler

4. mranum

mranum Member

Will do. :waving:

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Also hold controller down while someone else pushes down the ram. Is there pitting on the ram?

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How fast does the plow drop on its own? Quill could be set to tight not allowing you to be able to push the ram down but the weight of plow can still pull it down. If it drops slowly I would bet the quill needs to be turned counter-clockwise a bit.

7. mranum

mranum Member

No pitting on any cylinders, the plow has actually had very minimal use and stored inside. Cutting edge and shoes are in excellent shape and the P.O. swears they are original.

The speed at which it drops is very fast.

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

The quill needs to be turned in 1/4 turn till drop speed slows down. Screw on top of valve body.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Does the float light come on on the controller? On my old meyer setup I would pretty much need to stand on the ram to get to go down to unhook the plow. With my xv the ram will go down by itself if left in float. Only few things can keep from going down by hand easily if the the valve is working properly. Quill, gland nut to tight, dirty valve. I would still try putting the plow down, leave it in float and turn the quill out a bit and try pushing the ram down. Just keep track of how many turns so you can put it back if you don't notice ant difference.

10. mranum

mranum Member

Sounds good! I'll check out the quill adjustment.

There is no "float light" on my controller. I got a hand held controller with this plow and switched it to my joystick controller to see if it was a controller issue and it did not make any difference.

Thanks everyone!

:drinkup:

EDIT:
    I was just looking at the manual and according to that it appears I am blind as there is a float light next to the power light on the hand unit. Thats what I get for not wearing my specs.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So....you don't get the float light on the handheld when you hold dwn the lower button for the required amount of time?

12. mranum

mranum Member

I'm going to have to look at the controller again today. I don't recall seeing a float light on it, but the manual I was looking at(I downloaded from Western) shows it there.

*But it also has a notation that some early editions did not have a float light.

:confused: Gonna have to go look later when I get a minute.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you do know you have to hold it down for like 1-2 seconds after it hits the ground, right? maybe it's going down so fast that you are letting off sooner.
    and sorry in advance if you already knew that, just checking!

14. mranum

mranum Member

Well adjusting the quill about a 1/2 turn did wonders. Its still pretty tight but at least now I can get it move. I think the tightness now has to to with the packing around the ram.

Oh, and my hand control does NOT have a float light on it so it must be an early edition as referenced in my downloaded manual.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Much appreciated!! :drinkup:

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

good, I'm glad you are getting it figured out.

16. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good luck!