1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flipping Blade?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by swisconsin, Feb 4, 2008.

1. swisconsin

swisconsin Junior Member

Hey just curious do you guys ever flip the blade around to even out the wear? and can you flip it?
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Our cutting edges are not center punched.
  3. swisconsin

swisconsin Junior Member

I should correct my self then rotating it?
  4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Some manufacturers center punch their wear edges. We choose not to as we all start with a 6" edge. With a center punched edge it will require you to flip or rotate it to get maximum wear. With our design not being center punched you can get maximum wear without going through the hassle of flipping it.
  5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

never heard of someone rotating the cutting edge to even out the wear
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

On our Kubota sidewalk machine, they seem to run it always angled the one way, so one side is always wore more then the other. That is a good reason to rotate a cutting edge, other then that I can't see a purpose. The blade has also been bent and fixed a few times, so it's not perfectly straight, that could be some of the reason for the uneven wear.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only on the OLD western center punched (still have one for a 8'6" western CHEAP)

If you're talking for uneven wear from side to side that's the effect of the mount being to high. See it on a lot of self installs with spreaders alot. Guys plow with a loaded truck but set the plow up on a empty truck. they cry about uneven wear, " I set it up to spec" but they set it a high as possible with a empty truck, then load it and lift the front end. i fight the syndrome with my Vee blade, tough to find an adjustment that works though the front end's entire travel range of a normal nights plowing. Same thing happens with a improperly installed straight blade, causing uneven wear . Why most good pro's install a inch or so low.