1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flink V-box spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BushHogBoy, Feb 11, 2007.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I can buy a old Flink V box spreader i think it has a 8hp Briggs on it, electric start. Pretty rusty and needs some TLC but i think i could baby it through this winter just a couple more storms. $300 for it..... these things hard to find parts for? he said he just had the electric clutch rebuilt..... i know its kind of a crap shoot but its cheap and i need a spreader (my ProFlo 2 is in a dozen peices right now kinda havin some issues...) we got a storm coming in tomorrow and tuesday i really need a spreader. would the old Flink be a mistake? If i can scrounge up some extra greenbacks i think i'll go for it maybe....
    Thanks
    Eric

2. slade

slade Senior Member

If it works I don't see how you could go wrong for $300

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thats the kicker, i don't know if it works or not really... well, "it worked when i quit using it" story, the guy bought a new Air flow V box to replace this one cuz he had a buncha extra money or something, so i guess its been a year since this one was really used... its mounted on a truck right now but i'm going to look at it tomorrow. I've seen it once but at the time i wasn't really lookin at it too seriously but now i am so we'll see tomorrow. mostly i'm afraid that chain is going to fall apart from rust otherwise i think everything will be OK or easily replaced/repaired... the engine stuff i can handle and the spinner apparatus seemed OK...

i'll update tomorrow.
    Thanks

4. slade

slade Senior Member

The conveyor chain is not a big deal to replace. I replaced the one on my henderson vbox. It cost about $375 I think. Just make sure you replace the chain before it breaks:dizzy: Mine broke during a storm with about 2 yards of salt in the box, that was a lot of shoveling.

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ok I bought it and the engine fired right up after hooking jumper cables to it. The electric clutch even worked good! The hopper floor and frame rails were rusting out from under it, but the hopper is solid, again the spinner's fine, the engine starts and runs good no smoke or noises.. going to do a tune up on it, I got a new deep cycle battery for it, new battery cables and solenoid, going to re-do some of the wires that have been rigged, got a new conveyor chain for it, wish I took a pic before we tore it all down, going to sand it all and paint it nice, replace the drive chains, rebuild the whole bottom frame and floor with 1/4" plate (a little thicker than factory).... the engine numbers say the engine was manufactured November 18, 1993 so its probably a 1994 model year spreader. I'll try to take a couple progress pics but wish I took pics before we tore it down... it'll be night and day difference :D