1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flink SS V-Box Salter Electric Conversion Pix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by derekbroerse, Dec 17, 2009.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

For Cretebaby.... and anyone else who's curious.

Please forgive my messy wiring, the salter was put into service a day earlier than expected and I had to rush. And the salt residue... after all, it was just working :D

LED Brake and marker lights, regular reverse lights. Amber oval LED blinks when the motor is running.

spreader1.jpg

2. derekbroerse

A look inside... wish the engine tray and hood were stainless too! Stupid Flink! I painted the hood with some 12 year old leftover 1969 Camaro Cortez Silver... :D

spreader2.jpg

3. derekbroerse

Another look, other side...

spreader3.jpg

4. derekbroerse

A look at the tag if you guys wanna get the same motor.... 1800RPM as I stated in the other thread.

tag.jpg

5. derekbroerse

Not just another pretty face, yes, it really does work! A photo out on one job site...

6. derekbroerse

Lets try that again... Damn, that reflective strap really works doesn't it? lol

salting1.jpg

7. derekbroerse

other end.....

salting2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. derekbroerse

Yes the plow needs paint. Hasn't even been used this year yet, nothing but light salt events.

Yes I still need to post pics of the truck in daylight and clean, the whole fleet...

One little trick I made was to install a weatherproof toggle switch (behind the battery) that activates the solenoid from the rear. This allows me to jog it if necessary, or if the truck should break down I can use the loader to swap it to any other truck in the fleet and run the salter until the on-board battery dies.

Oh ****, that reminds me, I didn't take a picture of the controller box I made... oops.

9. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

That salter, is that a Parkview special. If not does the auger/chain get controled seperatly from the spinner?

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. :drinkup:

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. I really like that truck.

12. derekbroerse

No its not, I bought this one thru ebay needing repair last spring... picked it up in northern PA. Was told it was a 2005 and the drag chain was busted in 2007. Turned out to be the same drag chain I had already bought and not installed in my other Flink. I stripped out the old one (in pieces, obviously hadn't been washed ever, holy rotten steel!) and changed a few bushings etc. Repainted the steel, replaced all the fasteners with stainless (why do they use regular steel for this?) and did the electric conversion while I had it apart. I basically eliminated the gas engine (tho it ran fine and supposedly had low hours) and electric clutch assembly, otherwise it runs thru the stock gearbox with a larger sprocket to slow it down--was running a million miles per hour at first with the original stuff.

I also added all the lighting, it was bare except for the oval hole.. oh and a muffler hole we filled in. My intent is to run a large rubber flap across the rear of the truck to cut down on the salt sprayback.

I do pretty much everything at home, plow parts come from Parkview, the chain stuff came from a local industrial supplier on Nielson (Canadian Bearing).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  13. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

looks great! approx. how many hours did it take to do the electric conversion?

14. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

And how much $$$ did it take.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Derek, good see you made out well with that conversion. Any pics of the conroller yet ?

16. derekbroerse

I think the motor was around $400, I bought it online from an electric motor supplier, they were cheaper than anywhere else so shop around. The actual conversion wasn't hard, took a little math and drilling some holes in the old motor plate. The actual conversion can easily be done in a day with decent mechanical skills and tools, and depending how hard it is to get things apart. Not including drag chain replacement, bushings etc.... I figure I have under $500 in the conversion itself because I reused so much. That big sprocket I had too, that would probably be a $50 piece by itself.

Here is the handheld controller I made up with a Radio Shack hobby box, some 30A light up rocker switches from the tractor trailer supplier, the round button is a BLAST button... oh and of course my Brothers labelmaker. Sharp eyes will spot the wiring--four wire trailer wire and plug for easy install and removal.

salter controller.jpg

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I love electric salters, in fact they are all I will use after years of hassles with gas motors. Looks like a nice conversion. How does the blast work?

18. derekbroerse

Thanks... Blast is just a momentary push button rather than snapping in the rocker switch. Since there is no variable speed control everything just runs at full speed.

Hey, are all the pics coming up for you guys? I've got at least two here that don't show when I go to the thread.... :realmad:

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think all the pix are up.

20. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I see... As all my electric v-box salters are a constant speed, was trying to figure out how you managed to increase the speed temporarily. Is it possible to get a faster burst out of electric motor v-box spreaders? I know they make some with variable speed, but to have a burst would amount to reducing the speed to a slower setting and having a instant increase in voltage to speed up the spinner. Does that make sense? If someone has the answer, I'm currious to know how it's done.