1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flexin' my Scout II

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dave Meyers, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

We are expecting 14" of snow between 9pm tonight and noon tomorrow. I'm ready this time. Bring it on!

winter flex003.jpg

winter flex004.jpg

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

looks great. have fun :cool:

3. Butcher

Butcher Junior Member
    from NE OHIO

I use to work for IH was management on the scout line they had a great power train just rusted out to fast. Do you have the 318 or the 345 in that. Put that thing in 4low and you can go any where almost I have made trenches in mud up to the axle before. Good luck

4. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Man....I wish mine was in as good as shape as yours. I got this one for Free this year, hasn't run in about 10 years and it pretty rusted out. It will be a project some day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. greenred

greenred Member

Oh man I love the old Scouts. I have wanted one since I was a kid. They are so bad ass looking.

6. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

That's bad a$$. I wish I could find a project like that.

7. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Doakster, your Scout 80, or 800 is really in good shape. Much better than mine when I dragged it home, and I paid $1500. My experience with the Scout matches Butcher's. Body rots quick but drive trains are bullet proof. Yours ought to start up once the carb is working well enough. I love the early Scouts, have had an 800 and an 80. Good luck with that project.

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I looks good in the pic, but there is actually alot of rust on the inside of the bed and cab, plus the body is completely racked out of shape, the doors won't even close. But hey I got it for free so I can't complain. And it's an 80

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Im sorry if I sound ignorant but can that thing actually plow snow and if so how powerful is it?

10. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You bet....up here in Maine back in the 70s and 80s scouts were actually the standard 4x4 vehicle...many people used them as plow trucks. Mine actually was a former plow truck and still has some of the head gear on it.

11. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I have plowed with my current Scout II, has a 345 V8, have plowed in a Scout II with a 304 V8 and a Scout 80 with a 152 4 cyl. They all plow great, never a problem.

Scouts came with a 152 4 cyl, 196 4 cyl, 266 V8, 304 and 345 V8. Never a 318, which sounds like a Dodge motor. They offered the amc 258 6t cyl, too.

We have 10 inches of snow now, heading toward 14 inches. I have plowed a neighbor's drive and rescued two cars, one was a grateful cop. I plowed a path for both the cars on two separate streets. Cars are gettign high centered. I am having a blast. I am not a pro plower, just enjoying my toy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  12. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Wow! What memories!!! I used to have a Scout II, a four-banger. It was a great little vehicle, which had plenty of power (Yes the 4-banger ws strong!), and now I wish I had kept it all those years ago...

13. Butcher

Butcher Junior Member
    from NE OHIO

Sorry I meant 304 it been to long ago for remembering all of the IH engines. Yep I had a Scout II with the 4 banger and it was amazing the power those things had. When I worked for them they had the 304 and 345 and the 196 engines as options which were made by IH. And I believe the trany was chrysler and the axles and transfer case were dana.

14. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

had a 61 with western plow 4cyl and a 65 with meyers 4cyl. 61 died in a car accident and 65 died with a terminal case of rust on the frame. Both machines performed well, sometimes you had to do a clutch. Only negative thing was they had vacum windshield wipers. If you stalled out and forgot to turn them off, you couldn't get them started again. Sometimes during some storms ice would form on the inside of the engine hood then melt onto the distributor cap and short out too. We actually welded two pieces of flat steel onto the rear bumper that formed a v blade so we could break through the snow piles after the big road plows filled in the drives. They always made money for us

15. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Yup, the auto tranny is a Chrysler torqueflite 727, the manual gearboxes and T Cases were Dana. Axles are Dana.

16. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Sweet Scout

17. AllAmericanPlow

AllAmericanPlow Junior Member

I don't know how well that is going to work.

18. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

It did well with the 14 inch storm. I am not sure your thoughts, but I wondered how the fat tires would do. Nothing stopped it though. I rescued one chevy Cobalt, one Kenosha Police car, both by plowing separate side streets so they could get their high-centered cars back to a plowed main road. I did my driveway and three others, plus several driveways after the city plows buried the driveway "aprons". I just put the plow in the Scout to do my own driveway apron, but ended up making $90 and getting two cars unstuck. It was a blast. http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48169&stc=1&d=1229828433

homer.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  19. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Another foot, at least, of snow on the way. Doh!

20. robwz@ptd.net

robwz@ptd.net Junior Member
    from pa

Great rig, I like it. Have fun