1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fleet number? Yea or Nea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by avalancheplow, Mar 8, 2005.

Would you put a fleet number on?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  1. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I'm going to be getting my truck lettered up and am debating one thing. Should I do a fleet number or not. My friend says it would be ******** and I like the Idea. Right now I have one truck but in the summer I should be getting a second and most likely a third in the winter, but by Sept of '05 I will have two. What do you guys think?
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

When you say fleet number do you mean a number representing how many trucks you have or to number it in the fleet, like saying the ford is 1 and older ford is 2.
  3. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

The sticker would probably cost you about 2 dollars. If you decide you don't like it take it off.
  4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Meaning how many trucks you have. It won't cost anymore then if I don't get.
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

One way to number equipment is to use the last number of the year of the equipment followed by number. It helps keep track of stuff like mowers and such, this year is 05. So this year numbering would be 51, 52, 53 and next years would be 61, 62, 62
  6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I say yea go for it.
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Truck numbering

Why would you want truck numbered? What would this do for your company? If you need someone else to know what truck number then number it.

We only needed 2 of our trucks numbered. We could use invoice to track which truck picked up salt. It worked for tracking. We do not have any numbers on our rigs now as no one else needs to know what number truck it is. All they need to know is it is one of our rigs.

We use numbers to call the trucks on the 2way radios. But the people are numbered. The maintenance, salt truck driver and plow truck driver guy has a number. If you need this guy you call for his unit. All the employees know mens names, what they do and what unit number they are.

8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

When you number your trucks, especially when there are big numbers like 202, people think you have a bigger company than you do. May work to your advantage, may not. Commercial clients would more like to see numbers than residential.
  9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I think it'll make it look like it's not your truck, and look kinda stupid unless you have a large number of trucks to keep track of for servicing/ect.
  10. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Can't remember witch truck with two trucks, and you provide services. Hmmmmmmm.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You provide services and you can't even spell? Hmmmmm, what a jackass.
  12. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

szippijr, I hope your not talking to me, 'cause that would be pretty ignorant on your part. If it is the case, I would have to say that you didn't read the post very well. But, hey reading is only as good as spelling...
  13. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

From reading some of his other posts I concur. :rolleyes: :nod:
  14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I would say yes number them, small 1" 3's so they do not stand out. I have seen them on the front bumper, or under the wing window area, and upper fender corner just ahead of the door. #'s help keep track of service, which truck was used for a particular job, who was driving what truck when, reporting violations, fuel tracking, etc. It does realy help in record keeping.

I like turfmower system as long as nothing is over 10 years old then you would have to go with 3 numbers. Personally I use the year the truck was made as none of my truck were made in the same year. 63, 66, 68, 78, 88, 92, 94, 95, and 04. Vinyl self sticking boat/house numbers work real well and are cheep and removable.
  15. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

You answered the question yourself by saying
    Who cares what everyone else thinks. Making your truck just a little different can make you stand out alot.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you like it then do it that's all that matters.
    If you want the bigger company feel to be portrayed make sure your lettering is a company name and not a service listing: like Kaleb Management, or Stucies Services instead of Snowplowing or grounds maintenance. you want the company name to be there so someone believes it's a company truck, rather than John Smith Snowplowing. you get the idea.
  17. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

everything i own is numbered from trucks to mowers. mowers i just a basic three digit number. but for my trucks every number has a meaning, year i started in biz, year my parents/grandparents were born, stuff like that... i think it looks very professional when you see four or five of my trucks lined up with numbers like 017, 021, 052. gives the appearance we are much larger then we are...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  18. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Go for it! Like another guy said, it'll only cost like $2. And you can just keep adding numbers to any more trucks / equipement. It'll look fancy on the invoices, too.
  19. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

I would say yes. i agree with some of the others a numbering system will let you appear to be a larger company than you really are. may actually benefit you alot. :D
  20. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Numbers are so impersonal and our trucks are so nice. So we try to refer to them in a warmer way: like: the blue piece of s**t, the white deathmobile, rustbucket, the 6 wheeler from Karls repair shop............