1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fleet maintenance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jkkalbers, Oct 26, 2002.

1. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone used or new of any inexpensive Fleet maintenance software. I run 10 trucks and a dozen other pieces of eqipment, and I can never keep straight what has been done to them and what needs to be done.
    Thanks
    Jason

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I just made up my own program on exel. Its cheap and works for me. Plus I can change it around if I need to add anything to it. I use it to track mant. on my trucks, plows, equipment, etc. Although, would be nice to see how other people track mant. CGB

3. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Question:

Would you be willing to post yours or e-mail it for some ideas?

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I can post it on this thread. I just need to connect my buisness computer to the internet. Give me a day or so! We can critique it online and make a standard format for all plowsite members, if they have a need for it.

CGB :D

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Snoworks, Excel spreadsheets work very well for that purpose but I understand they're not widely used anymore. I know I have a new computer that didn't come with Excel and have all these old files I can't even open:realmad:

To install Excel software is around $100.

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

A lot of new computers (pc flavor) only come with MS Works now, which does not include Excel. But, there is a free viewer that you can download so you can at least open your old files and view them. You can't edit them or anything, but you can at least see the contents. I believe it was called XLViewer, found it using google.

7. Sndun

Sndun Member

Here's one that I found on Chuck's site a while back and I thought was pretty good.

www.kjon.com

8. long0

long0 Senior Member

Mick,
    If you purchased Excel for your old computer, and don't use that machine anymore, it is not against copyright laws to load it on your new machine.

MSworks should have a converter to enable you to view and modify Excel spreadsheets. I believe it is under File -> Import -> Excel Spreadsheet, or something similar. Try to find the import feature.

Andy

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, Rob and long0. I got the XLViewer so I could at least open them. Since they're all historical records, I don't need to edit. My wife is grateful, too. I was having an ongoing fit about "losing" all that data.