1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flatbed or Dump Body? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sn95vert, Jan 27, 2011.

1. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Long story short, Guy backed up into my 2001 f250 and the insurance company paid me out for it. The bed is starting to rot due to being in NH most of its life. Im thinking about getting a flatbed or dump and was wondering what do you guys think I should get? I eventually want to get a sander for it and do a bunch of commercial properties. I don't really put anything in my bed unless im hauling a snow blower or two. Im leaning toward a flatbad but not 100% sure. What do you think?

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My buddie has one of these. It caqme on a truck and he was going to sell it, but it's come in handy so much in this biz he kept it. I want the truck it's on namely for the bed now.

http://tafcoequip.com/Default.asp?page=698

3. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

That's pretty badass! I like this one minus a lift.

[​IMG]

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Heck ya that's sweet. Infact, his doesn't have a hoist. He bought one for it but never installed it.

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

with it only being an F150 i dont know if you could put a dump on it and still have any payload left. you deffently wouldnt be able to put a v box on it.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's a 250

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a flatbed will be cheaper and would work best for what you want to do

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 02 F250 as well and the bed is rotting and dented a little. I have decided to go with a dump bed as well. I am going to make another one kind of like I made one for my chevy. It will be longer though and not have wood planks. It will have diamond plate. Dump kit is about 1500.00, steel/paint/lights about 1500.00 and some time. After the season is over I am going to get to work. Here is my Chevy build.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/chevytruck.htm

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

TJS, nice work and awesome step by step write up.

10. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Dump bed with a diamond plate floor? I don't get it.

11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

maybe i missed it but i didnt see were he said diamond plate floor, im thinking he means for the side boards.

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What don't I get. I am not going to use wood planks this time. I am going to use diamond plate.

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you had an F-350 or higher, I would go with a dump bed with drop sides like shown above.

The drop sides are the bomb with any dump. It gives you that much more versatility.

With a 250 or less though, I'd stick with a simple flatbed. You'll save a lot of weight not having a hydraulic pump, cylinder and lift system associated with the dump.

14. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

Flat bed period LOL

15. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Don't do a dump, unless you are putting leaves or mulch from a tree shredder in it.. The 1 tons barely have a payload to handle a dump. Flatbed 's are very useful. Spend your money on a long tandem dual dump trailer.

16. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I would go with a flat bed, I would also make sure it has steak holes so you can make your own wood gates for it.

17. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

You must be building this bed for looks. I agree with the not using wood floor. Tread-plate is for looks, if you are gonna use it for work use flat steel. The tread-plate adds no "tread" anyways, especially when wet.

18. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Whats up TJ. Idk if you remember me but you welded my intake for my 95 before I sold it. Havent been on LMMC in a while.

19. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Im leaning toward a flatbed. Theres a bunch of guys at my job that has them and they look awesome. I like the look and makes their 250/350's look 100 times better.

20. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

How thick of plate do you have. I def. will never do wood again. I know what you mean about wet diamond plate. :mad:
    T.J.