1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flatbed For My Truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86burban, Dec 31, 2003.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Ok, I've already installed the plow on my truck. Since the cab is rust free, and the replacement bed has rusted out, I want to put a flatbed on my truck. I want to do a simple, yet strong design. It is going to be my truck for hauling around heavy and dirty stuff like motors and transmissions. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for designs or if anyone has pictures of ones that they already have.

SNOWPIMP Member

I have a great one I just took off my old ford it is in mint shape but it is 10' long and 96" wide not sure if you want something that big or not!
  3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I would, but, Cleveland is quite a ways from Chicago.

4. Erickson

Erickson Junior Member

I have an 8' wide by 12' long stake bed on my F350 dually. I think it is a large bed. You can wipe out mirrors on parked vehicles by the side of the road. Don't even think of the drive through at the bank (I did once).
    If I were thinking of another flat bed I would look at beds from army surplus trailers. For a couple hundred bucks you can get a whole trailer. Seriously beefy, maybe even bulletproof. Chris:)
  5. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

You want to talk bulletproof? I just got an 83 E350 From my work that was wused as an ATM truck (I work for a check cashing and encoding business) that is lined with thick kevlar walls, 1.5" thick glass, and huge push-bar bumpers. I will post pics of the truck later.

But anyhow, I have been having all kinds of ideas for my own bed. I was thinking along the lines of Diamond Plate base, tie down cleats that hide away, a headache rack mounted at the front with strobes and amber lights mounted on it, a huge trailer hitch, solid sides that are removeable, etc.... The ideas are endless.

Happy New Year to All!!!!:waving:

6. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

This is a picture of my truck that I insalled a flatbed on with norther hoist. Ill see if this works, if not sorry.

snow plow truck.jpg
  7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I see a lot of Cadet flatbeds in our area. I think they must be fairly reasonable on price. You can check out sizes at Cowtown.com
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

When diamond plate gets wet, it gets slippery. A wooden bed would not be as slippery.:D
  9. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Im having all kinds of Ideas from both myself and my head. Thanks to all who have replied, You have helpd a great deal.

04superduty- Wood may be less slippery, wood also absorbs the bad stuff like oil and coolant, and easily getts chipped. I may use it for the sides, like a stakebed almost.

10. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

morgan truck bodies makes flatbeds for many diffrent applications.also the wood floor when sealed right wont absorb anything,if you use the tounge and groove trailer flooring.that stuff is oak laminate and about 1 1/4 " thick.strong and expensive.

if you want to make one get some c channel for the longsills,usually 4" and get 3" c channel for the crossmembers,weld everything together,use some 5" c or flat stock for the edges around it to tie everything together,screw the floor down with trailer floor screws,and paint everything with good expoxy primer and paint,plus a good undercoat underneath it.mount it with u bolts and tie plates and wood fillers between the frame and body to level it up and to keep it from sliding.use good oak fillers for strenth and rot resistance. any style lights for it will work.you can also put a 1/2"plate on the rear frame rails to tie everything together and mount a hitch on it for towing.

i used to work for a body repair/mounting company and we made quite a few flat beds and mounted over 100 van/flat beds along with dump bodies.