1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flat-Black Paint job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BSDeality, Jan 1, 2012.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Anyone ever paint the back of their plows flat-black? we have boss vxt's and from what I remember plowing last year (been slow here this year...) when we scoop and lift the blade to stack we get horrible glare off the back of the mold board.

Has anyone painted their plows flat black to reduce glare? I also figure it'd make them stand out from other plows if they're ever stolen too.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Painted mine this year. Black on the back-side, and painted the moldboard blue.

My main concern is that I have strobes up in my front parking lights and I wanted to minimize flashback off the back of the plow.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

We tried it on one at the beginning of the season last year for the same reason and it cut down on the glare and flashback significantly. With the lack of snow we brought the other two into the shop yesterday and we are going to do the same on the backsides of both.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yup Done that for 20 years it helps a lot. the problem with flat black paint is the snow will stick to it and you get flashback off the snow stuck on the flat black. gloss black works better.

My experience.

5. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the tip-I'm going to try the gloss black now;we did notice that the snow stuck quite a bit on the flat black after the fluid film wore off.

6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

do you think a coat of flat clear would help the snow sticking issue on the flat black??? just a thought

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I ended up painting a clear gloss cote over the flat black. Not so flat with the glass clear.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

thanks guys, I think I might spray one of them with semi-gloss and see how it does.