1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flat Bed to Dump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sticks, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Has anyone done a project like this?

Someone must have pics out there of this process!

Thanks A Million!
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

childs play. best way is to go with a subframe for the bed. sub sits on the truck frame, body sits on the sub. hinge at rear is in the subframe. hydraulic unit attaches to the sub also along with the cylinder. just that easy.
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

4. Mrboylston

Mrboylston Junior Member

you can buy the whole setup with instructions, if you use them, from northern tool and equipment. they are decently priced for what you get. mind you they are electric not pto. not as strong but a hell of alot easier to install and use.
  5. bob coco

bob coco Member

I'm doing a dump bed now. This is not a conversion though. I bought a Swenson APB 2 S dump body so the install is quite complex. Sofar I've installed an engine driven pump an tomorrow the hinge brackets and lift cylinder brackets are coming. Once I get the bed mounted I will start the hydraulics end of it. The new body is completely stainless steel. I have three hydraulic motors to power and the bed lift cylinder.

At first look, I was lost and didn't think it was possible for me to accomplish. But once I bought the body and placed it on the frame (resting on 4x4 blocks) I started pieceing the puzzle together. I started reading about hydraulics and now have it almost figured out. In the long run I think it will pay off but I wish it didn't happen in January. Bad time to lay up a plow truck.
  6. Mrboylston

Mrboylston Junior Member