1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

flashing marker lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IHcubman, Nov 5, 2003.

1. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

I’ve seen a few guys (mostly newer trucks) who have their directional lights flashing in a strobe-like pattern. I can’t seem to find a place that offers such a kit. I’d like to add this feature to my 87 Chevy. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  2. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

Sounds like you are talking about a Hide-Away strobe system. You put a strobe tube inside your tail light, directional, reverse light....etc. they get power from a strobe light power supply. Here is a link. strobesnmore.com This is where I purchased my system. Also try a search on here for power supply, or strobe...etc. You get the picture.

WOOFSPLOW Member

I have strobes at all 4 corners on my truck (good stuff!!:D ) The only problem was $$ I used a couple of kits from Street Glow total cost under $200, the problem being output not as bright as the Whelen $350+ system - you get what you pay for! I still like the strobes and they should be very visiable at night or snow. I also have a mini-strobe lightbar that I got from AW Direct they have all kinds of strobe units, check them out.:D
  4. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

put in a lot..

I can not agree more...ADD lights. I have 24 lights that either strobe or led on my truck. You can really see me coming in a parking lot. I really suggest getting lights out in the front and rear of your truck for your safety and others in parking lots and backing out of driveways. I have my new F550 at the strobbe installer here in CT and I'm adding 8 lights forward and 6 rear flashing. Both LED and strobe. Nothing like having your new $55,000 truck plow and sander getting hit because your $49.00 flashing light on the top of the truck was not bright enough. I used to install the hide-a-way stobes a couple years ago. They are not hard...use a 1" hole saw (as long as your headlights will work with the hide-a-way bulb) Then drill a small hole for the two screws and then run the cable back to the power supply and hook up power.....boom your done baby...:D :yow!: no I really suggest adding LEDs from this point forward. Reason 1 they are a cleaner install. 2 they do not make the ticking noise from the power supply. 3 they can have the power cable run longer then strobe lights. 4 they draw less power on the truck system..When my F550 comes back I will take pictures and post them...I will try to get all the lights but they are 2 fast for the camera...

5. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I cant wait:D maby you caould take a small movie:D :waving:
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

With all of them strobes my head would be spinning by the end of the storm.
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

A lot of trucks do have hide a way strobe lights. they are very bright and can be seen by cars so they are a very nice feature. a light bar is what most people use around here and they work good as well.:)
  8. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

What you need to do is go to yahoo or something and type in: emergency lights and sirens. Many websites sell lightbars, deck and dash lights in LED Halogen or strobe, directional arrows and so on for police departments and fire too. Some sites offer a link on their website to go see constrution lights.

Here are a few:

http://www.fedsig.com/ <--- Many police dept. use. Good company