1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flashing Light Permit ....

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Pinzgauer, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Most states require them annually. So far I never got one or had a problem. Do any of you guys get a permit yearly???

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

In Michigan we don't need to have one. Go to your states website and research it. I know they have all the "flashing light" requirements on each states website.

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Illinois doesnt have permits. Either you can have them (for certain exemptions) or you can't.

4. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

What are they?

5. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

625 ILCS 5/ 12-215

there are a few other statutes that pertain to lights in there, but I will decipher it and paste the good parts over here tomorrow. I need to call it a night for now.

6. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Sure thing.:sleeping:

7. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

I know here in VA we can only have flashing amber lights. You will get a ticket if you run white or a combo with white. It usually seems that only the state cops get you, but they always seem to be around. I know here that the head of each VDOT region can decide on the ruling and change it as they seem fit.

8. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I know, for example, that the CT DMV has a special "Flashing Lights Unit" for permits. The Permit expires every June and costs $20.00.

9. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Only Amber lights if you are doing it for fun. If you are paid or a "contractor", you can get away with flashing white lights as well.

10. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Sweet!xysport

11. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

you only need the state of ct permit if the vehicle is moving

if you are stationary or on private property not neeeded

12. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

only on private property we have less strict rules, but we all use them while backing onto public roads, so I didn't bother with that scenario.

13. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Given the fact that this is a Plowing Forum I would assume that the majority here plows for money. It also means we are in public roads driving from job to job. In the States where the permit applies it doesn't matter if you have your lights on or not. You need a permit just to have them on your truck.

Here are, for example, the CT statutes:

What is a Flashing Light permit?

Pursuant to Connecticut state law, Title 14 section 96 p and q, certain emergency or maintenance vehicles may be allowed to display lights other than those provided as standard on motor vehicles. These flashing lights are for the purpose of alerting other motorists of an emergency or maintenance situation. The display of these flashing lights on such emergency or maintenance vehicles requires a written permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Snowplowing
    Color Eligibility - Amber
    Expires - June 30
    Restrictions - Vehicles cannot be registered with passenger license plates.
    Please complete a Flashing Lights/Siren Permit (form E-215) and submit with a fee of $20 per permit.

14. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Maybe, maybe not.

15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the part that you forgot on there in ct to get a permit the aplication must be signed off by the local traffic authority (first selectman or police cheif resident trooper)

16. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I'd like to please get back to my original question:

Does anyone actually HAVE a permit?

Thanks ........

17. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

i have one!! :waving: any questions on them?

18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

here in New Jersey, the permits must be signed off on by the local police, who forward it to the state police, who sign off on it, then forward it to the state DMV who issues the permit. the permit here is free, and is good for 4 years.
    as an individual, you will need one permit for each vehicle, and the vehicle must be registered as a commercial vehicle.
    as a company or corporation, you can get an 'all owned vehicles" permit.
    and yes, i have had individual and all owned vehicle permits for over 30 years.

19. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

What did you have to do to get one? What are the restriction?

20. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

google search "ri dmv emergency light permit" and click on the first one. it costs $6.50. I saw your video and you may be out of luck because here in RI were only allowed amber. mine are amber in back and clear up front.

it takes about a week to process. when you get it in the mail, you get a sticker that says the color on it, and on the written paper permit it says nothing really just a bunch of BS.