1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flasher Module Issues

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Triton2286, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hey guys.

So I had this cheap little flasher module laying around from an ebay grille light kit. I decided to wire my mirror lights to this as well.

Here's the problem. When I turn it on the mirror lights turn on before I select the flash pattern. I thought I did something wrong so I put a circuit tester on it and there is no power going through the wires from the module but the lights are on, and then when I do select the pattern the tester senses it.

I really didn't expect a cheap little module to be this complicated.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The outside turn and park lights? What kinda tk is it?

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I have aftermarket towing mirrors on the truck in my signature which have lights on the outside housings.

The mirror lights are currently wired as parking lights and turn signal just like Ford's are.

4. dieselss

Well I can't see what tk you have on my phone on the mobile site
    Are they regular lights or LEDs?

5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

6. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

You cant use that kind of flasher on the mirror light. I could be wrong but I think that flasher drops the 12V down to a lower voltage.

Personally I would throwaway that flasher and any lights you got with it. They are why to cheep and not worth having your truck burn to the ground because of it. Buy some real lights, Strobes n more, sirennet, whelen, etc.

And this flasher should work better for the mirror lights http://www.strobesnmore.com/Able-2-Universal-LED-Flasher.html

7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

There is no lack of power. The mirror lights were getting full 12V.

Yes I know they are cheap. Pretty sure I said that already. These lights are not use for extended periods of time and I know how to properly install accessories. Maybe you've burned a truck down before but I haven't.

I'm not some newbie that doesn't know ****. I'm not looking to buy more parts. I am just trying something out.

8. dieselss

What happens when you take the flasher box off? The lights are getting pwr from somewhere but where?

9. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Ok.....Cool you jets there killer. I never said you did not know what you were doing or that you were going to burn you truck down. I said that it was so cheep that it (being the flasher) would burn you truck down.

And to answer your statement I have never burned a truck down and never plan to. All my wiring is done to SPEC. with proper wire, connecters and equipment to do the job.Thumbs Up

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well it must somehow be caused by how the lights on the mirrors work.

To make sure it wasn't about how the flasher or the lights it came with work I just attached a completely different led light directly to the flasherbox and it functioned properly (did not turn on until a pattern was selected).

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Sorry, this thing just has me a little frustrated. This was part of a couple projects and everything went fairly smooth until this hangup which was the only thing I thought would work right lol.

12. dieselss

See trying to figure if the flasher is back feeding pwr to something else. Is it just the mirror lights or your whole tk that's lighting up ?

13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

No it's just the mirror lights.

14. dieselss

How does that module flash. Pwr or gnd?

15. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Pretty sure, power.