1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

flared V plow or non flared

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by palatineplowboy, Jan 4, 2013.

1. palatineplowboy

palatineplowboy Junior Member

hi all i am currently using a 8 foot western straight blade but currently in the process of buying a 2011 chevy 3500hd duramax dually with a flatbed and i was planning on putting a new snowdogg v plow on it from what i heard they are discontinuing the VX model which is not flared ends with the VXF model which is flared my question is is there any pros to the flare v plow or not the VX is cheaper from my local dealer which appeals to me but overall i just would like to know if there are any pros to the flare and how everyone likes the snowdogg plows

Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The flared ends will help in rolling the snow higher off the end of the plow moving it further. Will it make a huge difference? On bigger lots it will and depends how high the ends are. Our Extreme v's aren't very tall compared to a BOSS vxt or even a Myer's.

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

I have been thinking about this as we have 1 boss 9.2 VXT and 3 other boss flat top v blades. I was trying to think of cons for the xt blades, and all I could come up with is that it has extra weight, and if you do highway driving, may block more air. Honestly I couldnt come up with anything else. They do windrow higher and farther so its good in deep snow, and has a bit more carrying capacity in scoop. We will be going xt from now on, unless there is some crazy price difference.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Buddy has 3 boss reg v's. He bought a vxt 3 to 4 yrs ago and traded in after 2 months for a reg v. His big issue was he couldn't line the 2 blades straight all the time due to not having a straight top. 18 yrs experience and went back. I don't know if the change was bothering him or is it was a real issue.

Imo unless you are plowing at higher speeds the flare won't change how it throws.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

As for Snow Dogg.....

I purchased a 7.5hd for our ford f-150 and was pleased with the contruction of the plow, ease of installation, and the ease of mounting and dis-mounting.

For the price point, I was sketchy on the quality of the plow, but it's just as good or better than any comparable brand, so I think you'll be happy with the V.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Im with white Gardens and I have a non flared VX95. Plow is built well (over 1000lbs with mount), I want the new VXF as I plow post storm and encounter some large drifts and banks from town trucks- my plow handles it fine, but the flare would be better.

Only downside for me is clearing mailboxes as the wing height plus marker will hit them as I try to clear below them. My current plow goes ok but the markers always hit and have even moved some boxes around. Other than that nothing.

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, it's like a parachute.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

8. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i run fisher and love them that just my opinion

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know this doesn't answer your question but why are you looking at V's over a wideout type. I have 3 V blades and one Blizzard 810 and I will take the Blizzard everyday over a V blade.

10. palatineplowboy

palatineplowboy Junior Member

thank you all for your input much how which is very helpful and to why i dont buy an extendable plow i dont feel like it will stack snow as high and in my lots i need them stacked high since i dont have many places to stack it to begin with unless im wrong with that assumption but every wideout ive seen havent stacked snow as well as a V IMO

11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Plowboy get a wideout or blizzard expandable.... stacking snow will not be an issue i can stack piles 10+ high no prob with the wideout.... I got both and just installed wings on my V cause it just dosn't compair to the wideout... productivity is unmatched hands down

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used the flat top V, and now I have a BOSS V_XT. Not a huge difference, but I don't feel the need for the rubber flap because of the XT top.

I does windrow a bit farther too.

13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Have 2 flat top boss's and 2 VXT boss's. The flat tops work fine for what we do. I guess we dont really have accounts where we need to throw the snow..just get it to the end and stack it..and when you cant stack it high enough anymore that what the loaders are for. The flared wings sure do look bad a** though! I have one account that is all street work and I guess thats where the VXT shines. I can almost get it to there garage doors if you drive fast enough! lol

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would an expandable plow not stack as well as a V?

15. Hysert

My thoughts exactly

16. djagusch

from mn

The v's outward extend farther when stacking which makes the pile higher.

17. Hysert

I have both plows and theres no difference

18. djagusch

from mn

So your saying a a wideout (or similiar) blade extends as high as a v plow? Because I think a basic tape measure shows different.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The mount on a Western V and wideout are virtually the same. The plow will stack until the A frame hits the headset. I think they would stack pretty close to the same but wouldn't say that 100%. I feel stacking snow is one of the hardest things on a truck and try not to do it. 6-7' is plenty high for me.

20. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

This has been my observation with fisher products as well. I can stack just as well with my XLS as I could with an XV I just don't because it beats the piss out of my truck.