1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flap for Earthway spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PowersTree, Dec 6, 2011.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I just bought a Earthway, commercial hi flow spreader.

Trying to dial it in, I notice that it throws the salt 10ft to the right, but barely covers the left.

I don't want to spend the money to buy their flap kit, when I really only need a flap on the right side. I'm thinking I could use some sort of rubber to fab a flap that will act as a deflector.

Have any of you tried this?? What did you come up with? Got pics you could share to give me ideas. I haven't really looked at it yet, as we did a salt run last night, and I'm just waking up.

Thanks in advance!
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I run scotts spreaders and made my own deflectors for them. Mine are nothing more then old mudflaps that are held to the frame with self tapping screws. Simple yet effective.
  3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Basically what I came up with. I will be making mine tmw. Ill post pics in case someone else comes along this thread.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I bought one midway through last season. Noticed the throwing only to the left, and I have the deflector. Throws everything to the left instead of distributing evenly, still have to walk down both sides of walk anyway, but still. The opening on the bottom is the culprit, don't know why they designed it this way. I was thinking about carving out the opening so it worked better, but have not done it yet.