1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flame Kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RedRider, Apr 29, 2004.

1. RedRider

RedRider Junior Member
    from PA

I have been restoring a 1983 chevy truck. I have a 350 in it with an Edelbrock 4 bbrl. It has dual exhasuts with heads and no cats. I wanted to put a flame kit on it that would shoot flames out the tail pipes. I was wondering a few things though. First of all is it possibel. can a spark plug in the exhaust ignite the unburnt fuel. Do I have to do anything to my timing or adjust the carb so it runs ritch to be able to do it. I also wanted to know if my design will work. I got it off the internet, I just redrew it. See attachment.

thanks, RedRider

Attached Files:

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You will either need to make your truck run really rich(via the carb). Using a manual choke and a fairly rich tuen to begin with may work. Or by injecting propane into your exhaust. I couldnt look at your drawing but remmber that you cant just run juice to a spark plug and have it ignight. You will need to run the sparkplug off of a coil(the kind of coild that normaly powers a sparkplug when its in a motor) to get the spark plug to make a hot spark.

Yes it will work.
    Yes it is illegal.
    Yes if done wrong you could damage things.
    No its probably not a good idea but its your truck so do what you want.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you have Catylitic Convertors do not do it.

You can buy a kit, basically a relay that cuts out spark for a minute. This means you do not have to run engine rich. The lack of spark will send unburned fuel into exhaust.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Hmmmm......never though of cutting the ignition for a few seconds with the motor running. Kinda like what I did on an old POS truck I had. Run down the road and turn the ign off while in gear and pump the gas pedal a few times and hit the ignition again and POW!!! It was cool till I blew my exhaust apart. Then I stoped doing it....hehe the good old days when I was young and stupid.....actually I'm still fairly young, and I'm still stupid ;)
  5. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I agree with you ratlover. back in school there was a guy who had an old ford truck he did that to. I was watching one day and you could actually see when he did it the cheerybomb blew right in half. It was some good stuff, but it is very hard on your equipment. I am glad he did it though, made for some good times.