1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flakes vs pellets

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rebert, Nov 8, 2015.

1. rebert

rebert Senior Member

What's your experience with calcium flakes vs pellets. I'm gonna pick up a skid this week and the supply house I deal with has 3 different types of calcium products ranging from $5-700/pallet.
  2. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Flakes have more dust to contend with, while the pellets seem to slide across the concrete so a push spreader can cover a large swath of area with a single pass. We have a funeral home that won't take pellets because they track across the carpets, flakes just seem to dissolve on contact. I haven't noticed a difference in either on their ability to melt off the walks.
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

On thicker ice I think the pellets work better, as it seems to last longer, like FourDiamond said, the flakes seem to dissolve on contact. I also think its easier to use to much flake than it is pellets for the same reason. But they do both work.