1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed wing?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody ever mount an 810 wing in a fixed position? Like for instance, if you spent a lot of money having a new wing cylinder installed, and the first time out the end of the piston sheared off, and the installer and Blizzard refused to do anything for you? I am NOT buying another dam overpriced Blizzard piston, so I was thinking about trying to bolt or weld the left wing on permanently.The hinge area is all wrecked, which I think was done by the "installer". Looks like they cut up the hinge to remove the wing, then after changing the cylinder, scab-welded the parts of the hinge they cut. It held for less than an hour of easy plowing, then once the hinge let go I guess the cylinder was the only thing holding the wing on, and it sheared off the outer end of the piston.

I am about ready to sell this thing for parts and get a straight blade. I've loved this plow for years, but it's getting to the end of it's useful life I think.
  2. Detroitdan

Well, I dropped the plow off and it's going to have the left wing permanently mounted. No going back now. I'm going with a full forward angle, I think it is more important to be able to scoop with it than worry about angled left plowing. Snow won't drop off as well plowing to the left, but I think I spend a lot more time in scoop or angle right. And maybe I'll just have to adjust my plowing habits to accommodate.
  3. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Is it one of those old 2 piston per side plows? If so that is a good choice.
  4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Hey, that's how the snowdogg XP 810 is ;)
  5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I have an 810. I haven't had to replace either wing cylinder yet, but I did replace the angle rams. I posted a thread earlier this year which I think you saw in which I posted pics of the modifications I made to my plow to accommodate a different, and much cheaper cylinder.

The Blizzard was my first non-straight blade. Up until this one, I'd had one Western, and 3 Leo plows. Leo plows are made here locally by a truck equipment company and are incredibly durable, simple plows. http://www.truckutilities.com/Leo-Snow-Plow.html

When I replace this truck, I'll go back to a Leo, and either have them fab me some removable wings, or I'll make them myself. I love the time the scoop feature saves me, but the headaches of maintenance and repair, coupled with the cost of parts will prevent me from ever buying another one. In the 10 years I had Leo plows, the total amount of money I spent on parts and repairs for all three plows is less than what I've spent on my one Blizzard in the 3 years I've owned it. I'd rather have removable fixed wings on a plow I can depend on every snowfall. The little added time to remove/attach wings if needed far outweighs the added dollars and headaches this Blizzard has cost me.
  6. Detroitdan

I think I'll do removeable wings on my next plow too, maybe fab something up with quick release pins and a couple different positions.

So the fixed wing project finally got done. What we did was removed the busted piston and capped off the lines, mounted the wing in the full out and forward position, then welded down the front of the moldboard to the top of the slidebox to hold it in place. Then for support we fit a big heavy piece of 3x3 angle iron on the back side, welded in place between the back outer edge of the wing and to the outer edge of the plow itself. Looks really sturdy, just need to get some paint on it if I ever get time. Only problem was we lined everything up nice, then clamped the wing to the moldboard at the top to pull it in tight. This caused the bottom of the wing to move forward and away a little, so once it was all done and on the floor we realized we had accidently made the wing cutting edge sit a little high, so I have about a half inch or better under the edge when the rest of the plow is touching. So it's too late to go back now, I just won't be able to scrape clean with the left wing. Dumb mistake. If it bugs me enough I'll have to weld another piece of metal over the cutting edge to make up the difference.
    I do have some pictures, but I don't know if I can upload them to this computer. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. Detroitdan

Hey it worked. First shot is looking at the front of the moldboard, pic didnt come out. that actually is a really good looking weld, just doesnt show in the pic. Check out the penetration on the backside. Also the orange brace did get fully welded, one side was just tacked in place when I took the picture. I think it's going to be plenty strong. Wanted to make some stops on the a-frame for the plow angle, but ran out of time.
    Got to be better than plowing all season with one wing missing like I did last winter.
  8. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

that looks good...sorry you 2 hear you have had problems the past 2 years. i dont think youll have a problem with that side again. good luck next time out