1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed My Saltdogg Spread Pattern!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jerpa, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jerpa

jerpa Member

Step 1: Locate 2ft pole.
    Step 2: Carefully maneuver while plowing behind, in front of, and beside said pole.
    Step 3: Forget about pole while backing up to salt and leave.

No kidding though it spreads great to the passenger side now.

2015-01-24 14.05.53.jpg

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Way to look at the positive side of things.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks. I have done similar.
  4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

If you plow snow for long enough it's not a matter of if you're going to back into something, it's a matter of when and how bad you're going to screw stuff up.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Looks like the spinner "protector" did it's job....

Been there done that, more than once.
  6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I did that twice last year but it was from sliding into frozen snow piles. A pipe wrench and you can have it as good as new. I ordered a spare shaft for mine but haven't bothered replacing it. I figure it I did replace it that's when it will happen again !
  7. jerpa

jerpa Member

Did you remove the shaft to bend it back or just leave it in place? I bent it back enough to get it running this morning and was debating on taking it out to straighten or just wrench it in place. It's bent right where the shaft enters the gearbox. Don't want to break it. I'd rather have a wonky spreader than none at all.
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I just did it put together. Just go easy and bend a little at a time . Spin it by hand to check as you go and you can get it near perfect. Like I said I have a replacement shaft but I'm not sure what it takes yo remove it. I never got that far l.o.l.
  9. jerpa

jerpa Member

Thanks. I started taking it apart and it appears the motor has to come off to get the shaft out. I did end up bending it in place. It's close enough that I don't think the motor will suffer and salt won't be flying at eye level. It's not shaking the truck on high anyway.
  10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

11. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Damn plastic
  12. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Mine fell off the back of my truck came loose from those pins that hold it in place. Had to resort to my spare that one of my guys drover over with the skid steer as he didn't see it behind the machine in the dark sea can i kept machine in.
  13. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Done it ...
  14. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

That's another reason I will never buy a plastic box. The odds are in your favor you can straighten a metal box quicky and cheaply and have your spread pattern back. Plastic boxes suck. Hey, got any super glue?
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I done it once bent the shaft
  16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Back into or slide sideways into. Had that happen too.
  17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe if I drill a frozen snow bank just right my salt dogg will spread even instead of 90% drivers side. Thanks for the idea lol.
  18. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

And for those of you thinking that won't happen to me, sometime, sooner or later you'll be 30 hours into a lake effect event, snowing so hard you can barely see, and the back of your truck WILL find the light pole that you swore was 30 feet to the left of where you are working.
  19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I hate apartment complexes.

I haven't hit anything with a truck yet. Last winter we had piles start to melt and then the runoff refroze, tried to salt and thought we had it whipped. Then it snowed that night, another 4 inches. Pushing with a skid steer and Kage plow, hit the ice that I thought was gone and slid sideways hard into a parked car.

Sad thing was, the damn Kage plow is worth double what the car was.

2 events earlier, backed into a moron that thought it would be a good idea to pull right up behind me as I'm clearning driving lanes.

Did I ever mention I hate apartment complexes?
  20. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

There needs to be a company advertising back bumpers on here :) !!!

I was going to start a post on the best back up camera !!! Lets see this year for me...a tree, a car, a pole ....Okay I got my three for the season