1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fix Or Replace

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sectlandscaping, Dec 9, 2013.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I'm a bit indecisive. I have to decide what to do with this truck.

Its a 95 Gmc 2500 that is rusting to pieces. Now obviously the truck is nothing special and isnt worth much at all but it has a perfect condition fisher speedcast plow, new rubber cutting edge and a working 2 yard fisher spreader.

After going over it. It needs all the brakes completely redone. They were seized in place and to break them free. Well I broke them. Its so rusted that I'm not sure what can be replaced. When you put it in gear the idle drops causing it to stall half the time. Thinking MAF sensor. There is engine mounts and bed mounts that are busted.

The only way to sell this truck for money is to sell it whole. You take the plow and sander away the truck is worthless. The plow doesnt mean much to me and I actually need another minute mount now but the sander is useful.

Was thinking of selling whole then buying a late model 1 ton, getting a minute mount for it, and putting a dump insert off another truck on it. Then ill need another bed sander for the truck that had the insert.

If I keep the sander. I got to remove, store and install it. Then the value of the truck drops in half.

If I keep the truck. I have to put parts and money in a truck that wont last. That will be sold in a year or two anyways. It will get me by this winter and give me some time but thats about it.

If I had the space. I could buy a never plowed with 99 3500 with the 5.7 and rip everything off this truck thats usable. Then scrap the frame and body. This is really the best option since everything else will hook up.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a poster child for the scrap yard. Pull the valuables off it and put it on a new truck

3. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I think you answered your question in the last sentence. Make the room to bring on the '99 3500 and swap the good onto a better truck.

Replacement cost on the plow and sander would be much higher than any $ you could get for it attached to a rusted-out POS!

It sounds like you are familiar with the '95, have you had it long, or is it a recent acquisition? If you know all is good with the plow and sander, then the decision is even easier.

The biggest challenge to buying used is making sure there aren't hidden issues prompting the sale. This I know from experience. : )

Good luck with your decision!

Tom