1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fix it or Forget it?!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PeteB4, Mar 15, 2008.

1. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

2001 F350 Lariat V10 with 214k miles. Fisher 9' with snow foil. Rust, dings, and repair bill of $2200 for ball joints, u-joints, hub, cv, etc, etc, etc ... I can't even remember everything on the list. I owe nothing on it, and it was a good winter. Should I dump the money into it or not?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For 2200.00 it's a nice backup. Go pick up another one.

3. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

That's not a bad option. I just don't want it to be a money pit, but it might be a good backup for next season!

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

they all seem 2 be parts needed if you plow its like changing oil in normal cars just the nature of the beast

5. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

How long have you had the truck? Have you had to do any of this before? The thing is if you do all of these repairs, you should be good for a while. You should be good for another 100K miles, other than I would have to question the V-10 if it hasn't already been rebuilt. 200K+ seems pretty high for a gas, but I do know a guy that got 250K on a 351. The other thing is a 2001 superduty with 200K+ probably isn't worth much if you sold it, so it might be a cost effective backup if you did fix it.

6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Fix it man. Or sell it to me for what your gonna put into it. :nod:

7. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

I've had the truck about two years. It has made me more money than I paid for it. I've had to put tires on it, repair the shift cable (couple screws and some lock tite), and I put a new pump motor and power/ground cable on the plow. If I sold it , I would need to get a little more than the repair bill because it really would be a decent option as a backup.

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

thats simple fix it and get a new one

9. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you made the right decision

10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

It's worth more to you to keep because it can make you money. You won't be able to get that much if you were to sell it. I would keep it!

11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I think you just proved my point. Fix it and get a new truck, keep it as a back up. I will give you $2500.00 right know sight unseen. There is $300 more than what the repair bills are. Want to sell it?

Ok for real, PM me, the hub is $300 bucks and takes 1 hr to change if you have the ability to change your oil. The hubs can be overhauled if one part isn't broke, even though Ford says they can't be. If you have any ability to wrench, I bet this $2200 the dealer is telling you is closer to $1000.00. But hey how does $2500 for your truck sound? OK I will go $3K but noy a penny more!:D

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You couldn't buy a better backup plan for $2200. Touch up the rust a bit and keep it oilsprayed and it will last you a long, long time as a backup truck. Will be money well spent.

Think about what it would cost you to pay someone to run your route for a night, or even a week.... that is, if you could find someone. If you couldn't, you may lose your contracts if you say, lost a tranny in the new truck (even if its under warrenty, it won't make it an instant repair).

Or you could go the other way, and use this still for your primary snow truck and use the new one as backup. Keep the new one nicer longer.