1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fix for overheating.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by streetfrog, Jan 19, 2008.

1. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Ok I had my radiator go poof yesterday. The tank spit in half. So i put a new one in and still got even hotter than before. I put a new fan clutch in as That was bad also. but I got smart and put something in to be proactive on the chevy over heating front. I went to Advance Aut Parts and bought a new piece of equipment.

Its a Hayden electric fan. It is a push / pull type ( spins both ways).
    Part number 3670.
    12 inches big and barely 2 1/2-3 inches deep.
    It fits beautifully between the radiator and the fan. Yes on the motor side of the radiator.
    It fits under the fan shroud no problem and has plenty of space between it and the fan/clutch.

I put it on a led type toggle switch.( so I can see if on or off by sight)
    I also hooked it to switched power so cannot be on when key is off/truck is off.

It works awesome. I keep off when plowing as it never gets hot then.
    I turn it on when driving so doen't get hot then anymore.
    With its slim design it should fit about every chevy truck out there as every one I have ever seen has atleast 4-5" of clearance.
    It is also only 12" in diameter.

It has a very high RPM speed.
  2. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

i dont know if you did this or not but you should put a inline fuse on the fan my buddy had one burn out on him. i rip the cooling fans out of every junk car i get sometimes they come in useful
  3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

You mentioned that the new rad ran hotter than the old one... did it have the same number of cores?
  4. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Yes it does. It is partly because the fan clutch went I am pretty sure. I added the electric just to make sure. And to answer the other post, Yes I put an inline in . I have been doing this kind of work for over 20 yrs. I am a mechanic:rolleyes: Thank you though.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I read years ago to never put an electric AND mechanical on the same vehicle as one will block the airflow of the other... since they are not running at the same speed it makes sense.

If you were going to add the electric fan and the clutch needed replacing anyways, why not do away with the mechanical fan and add dual electrics on a thermostatic switch? Cost probably would have been the same and no fooling with toggle switches. Hook'em to constant power and they can run and cool down the rad even when the truck is shut down... good to have in case of overheating for any reason...
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

On the 94 K1500 the radiator is quite wide. The 12 inch fan is on the bottom left corner. The main fan just misses the electric as far as over lap is concerned. And I set it to pull so it just adds the bit extra needed. I have also read all kinds of dont evers and do nots. I have done this many times over the years and never had anything but good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008