1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fitting up to do Snow in house...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RayMac, Feb 26, 2007.

1. RayMac

RayMac Junior Member

Guys, In need a little advice. We own just about 600 apartment in 18 diffrent complexes in Detroit. The sites are clustered in two sites. I brought landscaping "inhouse" last spring and want to do the same with Snow removal.

We have a couple of medium duty blowers and a LT1000 tractor with a plow. Now I want to add a plow to one of our maint. trucks, a 99 Dodge Dakota. We only have 7 lots and its just going to be used on our property. Any recomindations on what plow i should get, or what set up would be best for us.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What kind of equipment did the previous snow removal contractors use? Describe the properties better. # spots? Parking spaces? How many etc. Is plow truck just for parking and tractor and snow throwers for everything else?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not sure I understand the layout either?

600 apartments at 18 complexes clustered in 2 sites yet have 7 lots?? :confused: :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused:

Even if it is average of 1.5 spaces per apartment you have over 900 parking spots plus drive lanes and entrances.

To much for a 99 Dakota in my view. Could be done I guess but that truck wont last long doing it. Plus if is a company truck with different drivers be ready to have it beat to hell and back.
  4. RayMac

RayMac Junior Member

These are 4 story urban sites. some of the buildings share lots. They have mostly on street parking so I only have about 200 spaces I have to do. I do want to clear the street spaces around my buildings too just to be a good owner.

My first company had an F250 with a blade. He did my walks with the truck and tore up my grass. He contract lasted about 30 second after I saw the first site he worked on. My second guy only had a quad. he did everything well, but took all day to get the lots clear.

My plan was to use the Tractor on the walks and the plow on the lots. The blowers are for the walkways up to the door.

My calculations are that I paid more to push snow last year then the tractor, blowers and the plow will cost in total.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. RayMac

RayMac Junior Member

LOL, My crew do that with everything I give em.

I know the Dakota is small, but I would rather not put a blade on the front of my F150. That means I will have to get up at 4 if we get dumped on and I like my pillow.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

1999, DODGE, DAKOTA.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Ext Cab body style, 6.5 Box foot box, 5.2L V8 engine type, 3400 minimum FGAWR, 3850 minimum RGAWR, 5990 minimum GVWR, and HB5 headlamp type.

Fisher says to use this plow:
    The blade selected is 7 1/2' LD Series with Minute Mount 2

I would highly recommend adding ProWings and a Model 1000 Salter. You need 620lbs of ballast so the salt and salter will take care of that.

Snow operations are very different from mowing lawns and trimming some bushes. Good labor is very hard to come by, the hours suck, and equipment breaks.

Honestly I would suggest paying more for your winter services and hiring a decent company.:rolleyes:
  7. RayMac

RayMac Junior Member

Nice, but too late. The boss wants us to be as "self contained" as possible.

Plus we really havent seen much snow the lasst few years in Detroit anyway. Global warming, el'nino, or dumb luck, but we get 1 to 3 inches a few times and 1 major storm.
  8. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You have to ask yourself if you will be able to handle it with that equipment if you get more snow. How much snow before the LT can't do the job? You may want to look into a snow thrower the LT for deeper snow. Are you using the LT for the landscaping or do you have other equipment that may be able to double to snow removal? You could handle the current snow ok if it keep up just like what you quoted but you will need some backup plan for larger snowfall, breakdowns, etc.

I don't know if you are able or allowed to plow public streets in your area, you should check into that.
  9. RayMac

RayMac Junior Member

OK, I drove that Dakota this morning for the first time in over 2 years, and with about 4 flakes on the ground and her ass was all over the road. My guys would kill someone plowing with that thing. Thanks for the help but I got a new plan...

How does a Snoway blade on the front of my personal F150 4x4 sound? We still won't do any "outside" work with it (ok, so maybe i'll plow my own driveway). Question is an ST or MT? Whats the "real world" diffrence.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  10. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You should use the plow selectors on the different plow manufacturer websites to get an idea of what plow will fit for your truck setup. From the snoway website, it looks like an ST is 18" moldboard and the MT is 24".
  11. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

go with a blizzard LD with speed wings i plow several apt complex's with my 150 and just a straight blade and it does great i just wish that blizzard had the speed wings when i got my plow
  12. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

We do all commerical and some apts. Thing is every couple of years they start going in house because everyone in the industry charges too much and it is just as easy as cutting grass, I have one complex where the head maintaince guy was starting beating the drum, up to two weeks ago we had had a total of 12 inch in a state where 45-50 is normal. Couple of easy years you know the drill.

in the last two weeks they have had 27 inches on their properties.

1. where would they put it. We had to bring in loaders to stack it and skids with blowers to dig out stuff.

2. Yes we are there all day. We have to come back as your peoples cars are in the lots all day.

I know the decision has been made, however it will change quickly so make sure If you are putting it on a personal Truck that you want it or it might be an yard ornement in a few short weeks....